Two - "The Stavrakos Mansion"

Start from the beginning

I took a deep breath, "of course I know that. I'm very good at housekeeping, my aunt Jodie trained me so well. I grew up doing the chores with her."

"But you're too young. Come back after thirty years."

"Please Calliope, save yourself from too much stress. You don't need to look anymore, I'm here. You can start training me now."

Her hands were on her waist, as she shook her head. "You're the one giving me stress. So leave now."

"I won't. My aunt will be devastated. I can make myself look older, I promise. Let me try on her uniform, I brought them with me. See for yourself first, then decide if the disguise will work or not. I will leave if you still think that it won't work. Promise."

She heaved a long sigh, then said, "Okay fine! You're so hard-headed and pushy."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm desperate. Besides, this is a win-win situation for all of us."

"Shhh... just get the uniform now, and follow me to the servant's hall." She turned and left ahead of me.

"Thanks Calliope, you're the best. Can I just bring my whole luggage?"

She stopped and faced me again. "What? You brought your luggage already?"

"Of course. I'm always ready."

Her eyes rolled, then continued to walk away from me.

Later, we were in her room in the servant's hall, where I had already transformed myself to a middle-aged woman.

"What do you think? Do I look like I'm in my forties now?"

She assessed my appearance thoroughly, her finger rubbing her chin.

I was wearing thick-rimmed black eyeglasses with plain lenses, that I usually wear for fashion purposes. The unflattering dark red lipstick concealed the shape of my lips. My chestnut brown hair was pulled back away from my face in a loose bun, just like Miss Murphy did.

I wore aunt Jodie's black maid's uniform. It had long sleeves with a turtleneck collar. The bodice was loose, it made me look twice bigger, and the hem was long, that touched a few inches below my knees. I also had a matching black flat heeled shoes.

"Not in your forties, but more like thirty-five," her eyebrows drew together in a frown.

"At least, I don't look 22 anymore," I assured her.

She clicked her tongue in disapproval.

"Don't worry, I'll apply more beige powder to look older," I faced the full-length mirror and put on more, "how about now?"

I saw a tiny glint in her eyes, she seemed satisfied with what she saw.

"It worked, right?"

"Um... " she said hesitantly.

"Come on, hire me now. So you can start preparing for the wedding."

"It's already done. Mr. Stavrakos hired the best wedding planner in Mexico for me."

"Really? That's included in the benefits?"

"Yes. He's a very generous man, he'll give more benefits if you're good."

"Wow, I can't wait to work here. Is the food unlimited?"

"Of course. There's a daily servant's buffet."

"Seriously? Please hire me now."

She finally smiled, then said, "what's wrong with you. Are you deprived of food? No wonder you're so thin."

"Of course not. I have a fast metabolism, so I need to eat a lot."

"You'll get fat here."

"Oh..." my eyes grew big, "so that means, I'm hired."

"I did not say that."

"You did. You can't take it back now!" I hugged her and jumped with joy.

"Okay...you're hired. We have to order new uniforms that would fit your size. I'm sure the tailor could finish them in two days."

"There's no need."

"They're quite big on you."

"It doesn't bother me. I like them loose, they're very comfortable to move around," I stretched my arms to the sides, then turned around, "see?"

One of her eyebrows rose, then reminded me, "just make sure you don't wear any colored dresses inside the estate, okay? Only plain black with long sleeves. You need to look older and authoritative."

"Sure. I'll keep that in mind."

"I'll show you to your room now. Training will start tomorrow," she opened the door, and got out.

Before I followed her, I faced the full-length mirror again and stared at my reflection.

Me, disguised as a middle-age woman.