Two - "The Stavrakos Mansion"

Start from the beginning

"Oh." I gave her a pleasant smile, and walked towards her.

"I haven't received any memo that a visitor is coming. Who let you in?"

"Um... the guards?"

"The guards! They have very strict instructions not to let anyone inside, especially a young..." her eyes scanned briefly my appearance, from my white sneakers to my face, "beautiful woman."

Did she just compliment me?

"I showed them this," I gave her the entry pass.

Her eyes grew big.

"Where did you get this? This is only for the staff."

"My aunt Jodie gave it to me. You're Calliope, right?"

"Yeah, I am," one of her eyebrows rose, "and you are?"

"Her niece, Pia Rosi," I extended my hand but she did not take it. I put my hand at the side, "aunt Jodie sent me here to tell you that she can't start working today. She broke her arm and needs two months to recover."

"Two months! I can't wait that long," she touched her forehead in exasperation.

"She asked, if you could find a reliever while she's recovering."

"My goodness! Who would ever want a two month job. Everyone wants a whole year contract or even more. I'm leaving in a week!" she pressed her lips together briefly, looking so upset, "time is ticking. I have no choice but to replace her with the second best among the applicants. I need to train my replacement immediately."

"Oh no... please don't. She needs the job really badly, and it's just unfortunate that the accident happened. Maybe we can find another solution."

"Like what? Me waiting for her? No!" she raised her hands upwards, "my marriage can't be delayed. The wedding is set at the most perfect time and venue."

"How about me? I'll do the job for two months, you won't regret it."

"You? No way!"

"Why not? I'm capable of doing the job. It's only two months."

She stopped, then her eyebrows furrowed.

"Who are you again?"

"Pia Rosi. Her niece."

"So your father works for Mr. Stavrakos also?"

"Yes, in the Finance Department, here in New York."

"I see," she nodded, "you can be trusted, but still, you don't qualify. Mr. Stavrakos only hires middle-aged women."

"Middle-aged women? Why?"

"Whatever his reason, I don't have to explain to you. So, our business is done here. Please exit the premises. I need to find a replacement asap," she turned and left, but I followed her.

"No, wait. Please... my aunt really needs this job."

She faced me again, "stop following me and leave."

"I'm not leaving. You said you can trust me, so please... hire me. I can disguise myself as a middle-aged woman."

"That's absurd! How can you look like an older woman, when you're only what... eighteen?"

"I'm already twenty two. I just graduated with a degree in history. I don't have a job yet, so I'm free to do it."

Her expression turned monstrous.

"This is not a history research, but a housekeeping job. You're not here to teach everyone about Victorian eras, wars and heroes, Romeo and Juliet... or Titanic. You mop the floors, scrub the toilets, clean the whole house and do the laundry!"