Chapter 2- The sorting hat

As the girls stepped outside the train, Ari could not stop herself from visibly gasping at the sight before her.

Ari followed Kat, Stella, and Georgia towards some carriages that the girls explained would lead them towards the castle

"Whoah, what are those" Ari said shocked, taking a step back.

"What?" Kat asked confused, as Georgia regarded Ari with disbelief. "The Big black horse skeleton-things, of course" Ari said, even more confused. The three girls looked at each other.

"Thestrals" A male voice said from behind them. All of them turned around to look at the boy.

He had dark hair, that hung in perfect curls across his forehead, and dark eyes, filled with mystery. Ari saw his eyes enlarging slightly as they met hers, before returning to their original state. He smirked at her.

"They are only visible to people who have encountered death" He continued. Ari took in his features. He had very light skin, similar to her own. His brown coat looked cheap, but somehow simultaneously expensive. Perhaps because he wore it. To be perfectly blunt, he was gorgeous.

She shook her head a bit, as if exiting a trans, and cleared her throat. "Thanks" she muttered and turned her head towards her group. She saw the girls looking with big eyes at the boy. A look natural on Kat's face, but that looked a lite misplaced on Georgia's.

As she turned back towards the boy, she saw that he had already started walking towards another carriage, occupied with a few other boys. She once again turned back towards the girls. "Hello?" she said softly, waving her hand in front of their faces.

Georgia was the first one to snap out of it. "Sorry, I was just really surprised." "Me too" Kat continued. "I know right, we have been riding these carriages for three years, not knowing about the invisible animals dragging it!" Stella said in disbelief.

"For the love of Helga, that's what you're surprised about?" Kat squeaked. "Tom freaking Riddle just spoke to us!"

"Technically he spoke to Ari, and I'm with Stella on this. What are these creepy horse things? And why can you see them, Ari?" Georga said, switching her gaze towards Ari.

Ari shrugged her shoulders and threw one last look towards the boy that Kat had called 'Tom Riddle', before boarding the carriage. She then started wondering what death she had witnessed, to be able to see them.

Perhaps the death of her happiness the day her Grandfather had told her they were moving. Or the death of her ears, listening to Kat talking nonstop for four hours. She smirked.

The carriage stopped just outside that castle and they walked in, the other girls leading Ari towards the dining hall.

She was guided towards the first grader's table and watched as Kat and Georga walked towards their Hufflepuff table, while Stella walked in another direction.

She had never asked Stella what house she was in, but judging from her blue robe, Ari recalled what she had read in her book. 'The house of Ravenclaw, founded by Rowena Ravenclaw,  is characterized by their wit, learning, and wisdom. The emblematic animal symbol was an eagle, and blue and bronze were its colours'.

A man with short white hair and a white beard had started talking, causing the chattering in the dining hall to quiet down.

"Welcome, new and old students, to Hogwarts! I am the headmaster of this school of witchcraft and wizardry,  Armando Dippet. " He began, earning a few claps and whistles, from different directions in the hall.

"Today, when have an unusual event, as a fith year student has transferred here from Durmstrang" Dippet continues, and the hall fell into whispers and curious looks towards Ari, obviously sticking out like sore thumb amongst the much smaller first graders.

"I, therefore, welcome Astrid Coyet to come towards the soring hat, to be sorted into her future house before we continue" Dippet finished.

Ari rose up and walked towards the front of the room, where an older lady stood behind a chair, holding a hat in the air.

As she sat down on the chair, the hat was placed upon her head. She almost jumped a bit, when the hat started talking.

"Hmm, quite interesting" it had muttered. She started to get nervous. "Cunning, ambitious" it said. Ari was not sure if it talked to her, or to itself.

"Kind, and brave" it continued, as Ari had just found Kat in the crowd, waving frantically from the Hufflepuff table.

As the hat finally said "Ah, I know exactly where to put you", Ari's eyes met the dark eyes that she had seen earlier that day. Tom stared back at her, neither one of them breaking eye contact before the Hat continued talking.

-------------------

A/N

Which house do you think Ari is going to be sorted into? And what is the deal with her and Tom?

- Naomi