_______________
*Side note: I know the time this is based in—tsarist Russia—did not have sleeveless dresses, but I couldn't help but show this one. I lovvee dresses. Anyways, carry on.*
________________

        I start to undress but stop when I realize that both Aleksander and Nikolai are still in the room. "Do you mind?"

        Aleksander raises a brow as if to say 'I've seen it all before' and Nikolai grins and says, "not at all, darling." He receives glares from all of us and Aleksander looks at Nikolai with a murderous eye. "Alright, jokes are a no-go today. Noted." Aleksander points to the door and Nikolai dramatically exits with a sigh. I look at the Darkling and say, "you too." He looks almost offended and scoffs before reluctantly slinking out of the bedroom.

***

        The Darkling, Nikolai, and I walk down the corridor with collected taps of heels and boots on the smooth flooring. I lag behind to talk with Nikolai as the Darkling keeps his swift pace, although I catch him glancing back at me now and then. I like the way he looks at me. His eyes become softer and for a second, I see a flash of the innocent Aleksander from centuries ago, just the boy with hopes of saving Grisha.

        With hopeful eyes, I look at Nikolai and ask, "have you found a way to prevent the war?"

        He shakes his head sadly. "I wish for a way to resolve this conflict as much as you do, but I think the Darkling might be right, Alina. Sometimes, war is necessary." I expected this answer, but it will not stop me from searching for a solution when I have time. Although, time is running out quickly.

Nikolai aims a suspicious look at me. "What happened between you two?"

        I scrunch my brows and ask, "what do you mean?"

        "Well, something happened. You seemed tired and irritable a while ago. Now, you are practically radiating happiness. It must be something very good given we are at the brink of war with an enemy country."

I blush and look down at the floor. I suppose there is no harm in telling him. "The Darkling and I are going to adopt Amelia." Saying the words out loud for the first time brings butterflies to my stomach. Nikolai does not share my enthusiasm, however. He nods his head slowly and looks at me contemplatively.

        "Are you sure that now is the best time to bring a child into your life? You have many enemies and this war... it will only paint a bigger target on your back. I am not trying to bring your spirit down. I just want to make sure that you know the possible danger you are putting the girl in."

        I look ahead at Aleksander, who is miles ahead of us. His steps are anxious and fast-paced as he is only thinking about the possible threat that Queen Leyti has presented. I, on the other hand, am lost in my thoughts of Amelia. Is Nikolai right? By adopting her now, she will be subjected to all of our enemies who will use her to get to me or Aleksander. However, there is a selfish part of me that wants the happiness of having a family. I also want her to have a family.

Aleksander is waiting for us like an impatient child at the entrance to the Grand Hall. Before we enter, we are flanked by a team of security guards and Grisha. "Just for precaution," the Darkling explains, but I know it is really to protect me.

The Shu Queen stands in the middle of the room, looking nervous. Her dark hair is pulled back into a tight bun and she is dressed in a light silk fabric with pink flowers embroidered on the hem and sleeves. As we approach her, she does not seem like the confident leader that I had seen at the party previously. She is anxious and fatigued-looking. It could be because her plan is falling apart. The Fjerdan King is dead and her granddaughter leaked her country's information of their conspiracy. She no longer has the upper hand. But there is still something wrong...