My Queen

TᕼE ᖇEST Oᖴ TᕼE ᗪᗩY, I was free to do anything I liked since the wedding planning was completed

TE EST O TE ᗪᗩY, I was free to do anything I liked since the wedding planning was completed. I wander aimlessly around the palace, hoping to get a general idea of the layout. I find three dining rooms, each one larger than the last one.

On the bottom floor, there is a kitchen and separate living quarters for servants. As I open the kitchen doors, I accidentally walk in on a cook cussing at a bowl of salad and jumping up and down on his chef's hat. "Those lousy cooks can't get anything right!"When he looks up at me, his face loses color and his eyes go wide.

"Uh, s-sorry," I say before fleeing the room. After I close the door, my wide smile turns into a hysterical laugh. His bright red face looked as red as the tomatoes in his salad.

The second floor is mostly ballrooms, the library, and private rooms such as mine and the Darkling's bedroom. There are a few rooms with locks on them, so of course, I melt the latches by summoning orbs of hot, white light. The contents of the rooms are not exciting. They are mostly meeting rooms and private studies. There are a couple of people in one of the studies. I act like I am lost and they rudely shove me out, ignoring the fact that the door lock is burnt to a crisp.

I peak into the throne room, which is a vast space with a red rug leading up to two thrones. The Darkling is sitting in one while talking to a man holding up a piece of fabric. His chair is adorned in black, shadow-like decor. The throne alongside his is light-colored with a symbol of a sun etched into it. My throne.

"Yes, the symbol is satisfactory," I hear the Darkling proclaim. I watch him wave a hand in dismissal.

As the man turns around, I get a full view of what he showed the Darkling. It was a black, silk banner with a crescent moon just as the Darkling's symbol was before, but accompanied by the moon, there is a sun interlinked with the moon, that was not there before. It makes the darkness and light look like equals. The man walks out of the main exit leading away from the thrones. I stay in my hiding spot behind a column near a side entrance.

"It is rude to lurk," the Darkling calls out in a calm voice. How did he know I was here? Hesitantly, I reveal myself from the shadows of the room.

"You don't make it very fun to spy on you." I say in a depleted tone. I try to hide my embarrassment.

"You do not make a very good spy," he says as his mouth quirks up in a half-smile.

I stroll up to the thrones slowly as I talk. "I thought I was being fairly stealthy."

The Darkling has a slight grin on his face as he speaks. "Well, it is hard to hide from a man who is connected to you and can always feel your presence."

Of course, he knew where I was. The bone collar that lets him use my power can also show him where I am. It is a constant reminder of his ownership of me rather than making me his 'equal'. He can pull on the tether binding us together to find me. I have not learned how to use the connection to my advantage yet, but I will.