Chapter 8: He's Gone. He's Never Coming Back

-Carter-

It's been a while since Dad's death, and Dean was taking it pretty harshly (which was never shown around Sam or Bobby), Sam has broken down a couple times and I was on the border of hysteria and depression. Sam's been pestering Dean about how he's doing, which Dean replies to with "I'm fine" or "I don't want to talk about it". Things were difficult, but we kept going. Right now, Dean was almost done repairing the Impala, while Sam talked to Bobby. I sat on the hood of one of the junkyard cars, my knees pulled up to my chest as I stared at the rocks, Dean's music blasting from his car. I slowly tuned everything out and closed my eyes, resting my chin on my knees, not realizing I fell asleep like that.

*******

I woke up to shaking, so when I opened my eyes, I saw it was dark out and that I was laying on the same car, Dean standing over me. "You okay, Carter?" He asked. I nodded, "yeah, guess I just fell asleep" I said, somewhat half asleep, slowly sitting up, wincing at the tightness in my neck from being scrunched up. "Come on, Carter" Dean said, slipping his arms under me, carrying me into Bobby's house, placing me on the couch. I laid on my side, then slowly looked up at Dean, my vision blurry and cheeks wet with tears that weren't there before. Dean sat beside me and pulled me into his arms, rubbing my back, "what's wrong, Carter?" he asked softly. "dad's gone and... He's never coming back... I'm scared... What's gonna happen to us?" I asked, panicking and worrying. I haven't felt this scared since I was a child. Dean's arms tightened around me, "Carter. We're gonna be fine. There's nothing to worry about. We have Bobby, and you and Sammy have me. I'm not gonna let anything happen to any of you. Neither is Bobby. Don't worry, Carter. Nothing's gonna happen to any of you" he told me. I buried my face into his neck and let the tears fall. Dean held me closer, "it's okay, Carter. Everything's gonna be okay" he whispered. After a while, I slowly pulled back, then brushed away the tears, taking in a shaky breath. "We'll be okay, Carter. I'll make sure of it. Bobby will make sure of it. Don't worry" Dean told me. I nodded, leaning against him as he rubbed my back. Soon after, I fell asleep on him, exhausted from earlier's events...

-At The Roadhouse-

Me, Sam and Dean walked into a roadhouse, in search for Ellen. As we stepped in, we noticed someone asleep on the pool table. Dean tried waking the kid up, but the kid wouldn't budge. He shrugged, then walked throughout the Roadhouse, Sam heading into the kitchen. I moved to the pool table, trying to shake the guy awake, but he refused. I sighed, then jumped when I heard a female voice. I turned to see a blonde poking a shotgun into Dean's back, then an older lady walked out of the kitchen, pushing Sam ahead of her, "Whataya want?" The lady asked. "We came for some help, right Sammy?" Dean said, holding his nose after the blonde punched him. "Yes, now will you please let us go? We're not gonna do anything" Sam said, "Carter? Little help here?" He added. "I'm fine over here" I said, earning a bitchface. "Carter? Sam?" The lady asked. "Yeah, and Dean" I added, pointing him out. "Wait, John Winchester's kids?" She asked. We all nodded. "Huh, well, hiya kids, I'm Ellen" she said, letting Sam go, "this is my daughter, Jo" she added, gesturing to the blonde. "You're not gonna hit me again, are you?" Dean asked...

********

I was sitting at a table alone, trying to clear my thoughts while Dean and Sam talked with Ellen and Jo's brother, Ash. "Why ya so alone?" Jo asked as she approached. I shrugged, "just not in the mood to answer questions 'bout my dad" I said. "Know how ya feel. Whataya say i grab us both a drink and we can have some girl talk. Must be annoying being with guys after a while" she offered. "Sure and yeah, gets to the point where I sometimes act like one or the other" I said with a small laugh. Jo laughed with me, then got up, crossing over to the bar. She then came back with two beers, "ya drink a lot?" She asked me. I shook my head, "not really. That's more Dean and Sam's thing. I only drink every once in a while" I told her. "So, how's living with giant and ego-maniac over there?" She questioned. "Well, nothing bad. I mean, there are a couple fights between us, but nothing really tears us apart. Like, Dean's been there for me and we've both been there for Sam, so I guess we all benefited from something" I said, shrugging. "Well yeah, that's one advantage. I don't know, I can barely stand one brother, no less TWO" she told me. I laughed, "well, when it comes down to it, I'm just really glad i have them in my life" I said, then i sighed, "but there is something that's bugging me"

"What is it?" Jo asked.

"Dean told me what dad told him before he died. Something about Sam"

"Well, what 'bout him?"

"That if Sam goes dark side, then Dean will have no choice but to kill him" I told her quietly.

"Wait, whataya mean, dark side?"

"Apparently, Sam has these psychic powers that "yellow eyes" gave him and dad thinks that Sam will go evil" I said.

"Wow, that's some pretty hard stuff"

I nodded, "yeah, which is why Dean is so broken up. Yeah, dad's death affected him, but what made it worse was what dad told him"

"Yeah, I can see why"

"I just... Dean told me and it's so hard to keep something like this from Sam, i feel insanely guilty for not telling him, but me and Dean promised not to say anything until the right moment" i said.

"Well, don't worry 'bout it, Carter. I don't see Sam goin' dark side anytime soon. Just relax" Jo told me.

I nodded, "I'll try" I said, then smiled, "come on, i have an idea"

"For what?"

I smirked, "oh, don't act like you don't know. You like Dean, i can tell"

"Pfft, what!? I--I don't like Dean, you're crazy"

I gave her a look.

Jo sighed, "okay, yes, I like Dean. So what?"

"Well, he likes you too, you should ask him out"

"What? No."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because I don't think it'll work" she said.

"You'll never know until you try" I told her.

"I don't know, Carter, i mean, yeah, he's good-lookin' and all, but we don't even know each other that well. Just... Give me some time to think 'bout it, 'kay?"

I nodded, "as long as you think about it" i said.

"Hey. Carter!" Dean called out, whistling to get my attention,

I turned, "yeah?"

"Lets hit the road, we got a new case" he said, waving me over, Sam heading out to the car. I sighed, walking over, Jo following

"I'll go with ya" Jo offered.

"Oh no sweetheart, no way." Dean said.

"Why not?"

"Because you're a chick"

"Um, Carter's a chick and you let -her- hunt" Jo insisted.

"That's 'cause she's my sister and if it had been my way, she wouldn't be huntin' either. Sorry sweetheart" he said, leaving.

I sighed, "I'm sorry, Jo, Dean's really stubborn" I said.

"It's okay, Carter" she said.

"I'll see you around?"

I nodded, "definitely" i smiled, then left with Dean and Sam.