Chapter 6: Dad

-Carter-

We were in Chicago and things were going bad. Me, Sam and Dean were all clawed up by this shadow fiend and Dean had called dad a while ago, leaving a message, but he hasn't showed or responded. We were on the edge when we got to the motel, then we saw a figure standing by the window. Dean pulled out his gun, only for the figure to turn around, revealing that it was dad. "Dad" we all sighed in relief. Dad hugged Dean tightly and I could see the relief in Dean's eyes. I smiled, leaning against the counter, watching as dad hugged Sam. "Carter" Dad said, coming over to me, hugging me. "Hi dad" I responded, hugging back. "i am glad you kids are alright" dad commented, giving us a smile, but we couldn't relax, not yet anyway. The shadows came back and each of us were thrown. I hit the wall, feeling the shadow clawing at my stomach. I screamed out in pain, trying to get away. I heard yelling and fighting but I couldn't focus. I felt arms underneath me and i was lifted, being carried out of the room. I opened my eyes to see that Sam was carrying me, Dean helping dad. When we got to the alley, Sam put me down on my feet and I leaned against the impala, Dean handing me one of his shirts, pressing it against the gash on my stomach, adding pressure to my injury to stop the bleeding as Sam explained everything to Dad. "Alright, we have to split up" Dean said. "What?" Sam asked, "We have no choice. Now that I know what the demon is after, we can't stick with each other. We're weaker when we're together. Dad almost died in there, Sam, as well as Carter" he said, pointing out my injury. "No, Dean. We're not gonna leave him, we just got him back, he can't leave us!" Sam argued. "Sam, don't start this" Dean warned. "Don't start what? We shouldn't be separated" Sam fought. "Sam. We gotta listen to him. He's right. We can't be together while I'm like this. I'm in bad shape and you want to risk going out there?" I said faintly, looking up at Sam, trying to focus on his face but he kept fading in and out. Sam sighed as he looked at me, "fine..."

Dean walked into the motel, carefully laying me on the bed. "Stay there and continue to add pressure, I'll fix you up" he said. I nodded, holding his blood soaked shirt to my stomach. I felt my breathing slow evenon the ride back to the motel, but I didn't say anything. "Carter" Sam spoke, sitting next to me. I looked up at him through tired eyes, I couldn't focus, everything was starting to fade fast. "Carter?" Sam said, more concerned. I felt my breath slow even more as the blood continued to pour out of my injury. "So... So sleepy Sammy... Need... Need to sleep" "No, no Carter. You can't fall asleep" he said. I smiled weakly, "but I'm tired" I said softly. "Carter!" Dean snapped me out of my foggy state, coming back to the bed. I looked up at him, but he seemed so far away. "Stay with me, Carter. We'll fix you up" he said, slowly removing the blood soaked shirt, wincing. "Carter, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to do this" he said, unbuttoning my ripped up shirt, pulling it off, dropping it to the floor.

-Dean-

As I removed Carter's shirt, I couldn't help but look her over. The many times I've thought about seeing her this way is beyond me. Minus the blood and the wound, she looked amazing. Boy was I glad I had an excuse to look at her. "Carter, I'm gonna have to clean your injury out, okay?" I said, looking up into her hazy eyes. She nodded slowly, having trouble focusing and breathing. God, she looked so weak. I took a deep breath, then took the wet towels and wiped away as much blood as I can. I dropped the wet towels beside her shirt once I was finished, then applied the antiseptic liquid onto her injury. "You okay, Carter?" I asked as I worked on her, applying the huge Ace gauze to her wound. She nodded even slower than the last time, her breathing ragged. "Dean" Sam spoke. "What?" I asked. "The bleeding slowed. She's... She's bleeding out." He said. I looked Carter over again, noticing she was paler than before, then met her eyes, noticing they were even hazier than the first time. "Carter" I said. She looked up at me, wanting to speak, but she couldn't. She didn't seem to have the energy. Her eyes soon began fluttering, "tired" she whispered. "No, Carter. Don't sleep. Please" I pleaded, picking her up, "Sam, we gotta get her to a hospital" I said. "What are we gonna tell them?" He asked. "I don't know, we'll figure it out when we get there" I said, grabbing my keys, then we left.

-Hospital; Dean-

"Help! We need a doctor!" I said, carrying Carter into the hospital, ignoring the looks of other patients and strangers. "She's been stabbed! We need help!" Sam added, lying smoothly, then we both sighed in relief as a doctor approached us, taking Carter from us, carrying her to a hospital room. "How are we gonna explain this to dad?" I asked, "We won't have to. He won't know about any of this" Sam replied as we walked into the waiting room.

-3 hours later-

"Carter Winchester?" The doctor called out and me and Sam both stood up. "Are you family?" The doctor asked. I nodded, "she's our sister" I said. "Alright, well, she lost a lot of blood, so we supplied her with some. She's awake, but she's going to be in a bit of pain. We stitched her up, so she's good to go. I just advise that she doesn't do anything strenuous otherwise it will affect her wound and reopen her stitches" he informed us. "Okay, can we see her?" I asked. He nodded, "she's in room 250" he directed, then left. "Come on" I said, heading to Carter's room. When we got in, we saw her laying in her bed, a huge white gauze wrapped around her torso, just below her chest. I cautiously looked her over and she was no longer pale like earlier in the motel room. I sighed in relief, then walked over to her bed. "Thank god you're okay" I said, sitting in a chair beside her bed. Carter smiled over at me, "hey, I'm a Winchester. I was born to survive" she spoke softly. I rolled my eyes playfully, ruffling her hair. "Hey, um, Carter... I'm glad you're okay" Sam said. Carter looked up at Sam and smiled a bit, "thanks Sam" she said, which made Sam brighten up. I smiled, then sighed and ruffled her hair again, "bad news though, you won't be able to join in on the hunts. Doc says it'll pop the stitches if you do something that will strain your injury" I told her. She sighed, "fabulous" she said sarcastically, "Hey, don't worry about it. We'll find something for you to gank" I said. She laughed, then winced, placing her hand on her stomach, "shit, forgot I couldn't laugh as much. Freakin' hurts when I do" she said. "So when do you get outta here?" Sam asked. "Tomorrow morning" she answered. "Well, lets just hope to god that dad doesn't try to find us in the morning. He'll raise hell if he found out Carter came close to dying" I said. "Carter came close to what?" We all looked up to see das standing in the doorway, his arms crossed. "Dad" I began. "What happened?" He asked, interrupting me, walking into the room, looking at Carter in a way that I sometimes looked at her and it bothered me. "Nothing dad" she answered. "Dad, relax, she's fine" I jumped in. "She's fine, my ass. If she were fine, she wouldn't be in the hospital" he shot back. "Dad-" "No, I told you many times to watch out for Carter and Sam and look what happened, your sister ended up in the hospital. "But dad-" "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can trust Carter staying with you, Dean" "Dad. Don't do this" I said. "I have no choice. How do I know this isn't the first time something like this happened? I don't want Carter risking her life again" he said. "Dad-" "No! You can't take Carter from us. Dean is not responsible for what happened to Carter. That thing is what hurt Carter, not Dean. You would know that if you stuck around like a real parent. You were there when you saw that Carter was injured. Don't blame Dean for this incident. It wasn't his fault." Sam jumped in, arguing back. "Sam. Don't even-" "No Dad, I can't even stand the thought of you taking Carter from us. She's a lot stronger than you give her credit for. You should see her when she hunts these monsters, she's courageous and merciless. She never backs down and she hardly gets hurt. This really is the first time this has happened. She's a lot like Dean, why can't you see it? You still see her as a little girl, naive and weak, when in reality, she's the opposite" Sam cut him off. Dad wanted to speak, but instead, he sighed, "fine... Carter will continue to live with you guys, but if something like this ever happens again, I'm taking her with me" he said. "Promise" me and Sam said...