One - "I should have worn my lucky red underwear."

Start from the beginning

"You didn't get the job?"

I nodded, and he bursted, "what the hell! You're a very smart kid. You contributed too much for the university. You did a good job in helping get donations for calamity victims. My family even benefited from it. What else do they want?"

"They're not hiring right now. President's order."

"Ahh... Mr. Andrews," he shook his head disappointedly, "it's their loss, child, not yours. We will miss seeing you here on campus, and your banana cake."

"Don't worry. Whenever I drop by, I'll bring you a box," I opened my car, then get inside.

"Thanks kid," he closed the door for me, "drive safely, okay?"

I nodded and smiled at him.

Before I could start the car, I remembered I muted my phone during the interview. I took it out from my bag, and to my surprise, there were too many missed calls coming from Dad and aunt Jodie.

What's going on? My dismay was instantly replaced with panic as I stared at my phone's screen.

There were many text messages, but I would rather talk to dad and ask him what's going on.

My heart throbbed so fast as I waited for him to answer. He was in the Caribbean with mom, having a grand vacation for a month.

"Pia!" finally dad answered, "I've been calling you for ages, where are you?"

"I was in an interview, I muted my phone."

"Oh. Was that today?"

"Yeah," I answered impatiently, "what's going on? Why were you calling me a lot? Is everything okay? How's mom?"

"We're okay, your mom is totally fine. It's your aunt Jodie," there was a pause, then I heard him exhale heavily, "she slipped in the supermarket and broke her arm."

"What?"

"A nurse from Miller hospital contacted me. Jodie was in terrible pain, but she's okay now after being sedated. You'll find her in the emergency ward."

"Okay, I'll go and see her now," I started the car and was about to hang up when Dad asked.

"Oh, by the way, how's the interview? Did you get the job?"

"Um... I'll tell you about it later. Have to go, bye!"

"Don't keep us in suspense, just answer me yes or no. You got the job, right?"

"What?" I tapped my fingers on the phone's screen, "I can't hear you dad... you're so choppy."

"Dammit, what's that noise? It's killing my eardrums."

"What dad? Krrr signal's krrr bad krr. Talk to you later bye! Krrr"

I coughed after making all those gurgling sounds. I need water.

Aunt Jodie was still sleeping when I arrived in the hospital. Her broken arm was already in a cast. I talked to the nurse in charge, and she gave me all the information I needed.

The supermarket owner brought Aunt Jodie to the hospital. He promised to take care of the hospital bills including the caregiver, rehab and other expenses. Aunt Jodie slipped on a wet floor from a spilled soda. The injury was a simple fracture but it would take six to eight weeks to recover well.

When aunt Jodie woke up, she was devastated that she had to wait for two months to be fully recovered.

"I can't lose my new job. I'm supposed to report tomorrow."

"I'm sure your employer will understand. You have a valid reason."

"Probably Mr. Stavrakos would, but Calliope wouldn't. She's in a hurry to leave, so she can marry her online boyfriend in Mexico."

"Calliope who?"

"The housekeeper I'm replacing. She's the overseer in the mansion and Mr. Stavrakos trusted her to hire the household help. There are too many applicant's waiting because of the big salary and many benefits. My only advantage is your dad, who gave me the referral."

Dad worked as a Finance Officer in one of the Stavrakos Holding Companies in New York. Ever since I could remember, he was already with the company. The decent lifestyle we have, we owe it all to the Stavrakos.

I was really happy that aunt Jodie got the job at the Stavrakos mansion. After jumping from one employer to another, she finally got a good one. She's dad's younger sister, in her late forties, unmarried, and lived alone. A stay-in housekeeping job would suit her better. But, how could she report when she got injured?

"What am I going to do? For sure, Calliope will hire someone else right away if I can't be in the mansion tomorrow," she started to cry, and my heart melted easily.

I could not bear to see her so sad, she meant so much to me. Growing up, she took care of me because mom could not because of her fragile heart.

The best that I could do was to offer help. The job was a big deal for her, her dream job, just like mine – to work as a professor in New York University. I already failed, and I could not let aunt Jodie fail also. One of us is enough.

"Don't worry, aunt Jodie. I'll take over your job for two months. So stop being sad now, and just concentrate on your recovery."

Her eyes grew big, then she shook her head, "no, you will not. Your dad will kill me!"

"He'll only know if you tell him or mom. They won't be back in a month, and by the time they get here, we can come up with a good alibi."

"What about your job at New York University? It's been your dream to work as a professor."

"I did not get it. They're not hiring any history professors right now."

"I'm sorry to hear that. You must be devastated."

"Very, and I don't want you to feel the same, losing your dream job. So, I'll take over your work tomorrow."

"No way. It's a housekeeping job. You don't have any experience."

"Of course I have, and I had the best mentor."

"Who?"

"Who else, but you! You trained me as I grew up, in cleaning the house, arranging the furniture, cooking meals, and keeping all things organized."

"I'm not so sure about this..."

"Trust me, aunt Jodie, it's only two months. I can do it. You won't be disappointed."

She shrugged her shoulders, still not convinced.

"Can you do me a favor? Please go to the mansion tomorrow and talk to Calliope? Tell her what happened to me. Maybe she can find a solution. I'm sure she knows someone who can act as my reliever."

"Okay, I will. I'll see her first thing in the morning."

"Thanks. You're always a darling."