Chapter 13- SPECIAL

Emotional Healings Begin!!

1st December 1942, Roy Chaudhary Kothi

Anirudh made his way towards Batuk's room with a spring in his step and hope in his heart; the hope that the plan that he and Bondita made, their attempt would work in dispelling the gloom that surrounded Batuk.

However, on entering the room, Anirudh was surprised to find the messy but empty bed.

Feeling panicked, he looked around the room for Batuk frantically, until his eyes landed on a huddled figure slumped over the desk.

A tremor of trepidation ran along his spine as he hurried over to the slumped-up Batuk, and quickly checking him to see if he was alright, he slowly expelled a breath of relief.

A small smile came to his lips as he noticed Batuk sleeping with his head on the desk, and peace was written all over his face.

The smile lingering around the corners of his mouth made Anirudh very happy. Finally...his brother didn't seem to be shrouded in the darkness of gloom as before.

Batuk is okay, he is just asleep. Shayad apne kisi dost se baatein karte karte aankh lag gayi hou, he thought, spotting the telephone receiver still resting on his neck.

Anirudh caressed Batuk's head lovingly, before gently untangling the receiver from under his hand. As he was about to return it to its cradle, he heard a strange noise.

Curious, he put the receiver to his ear, only to be startled on hearing the extremely loud snores coming from the other end. Anirudh hung up with a chuckle.

Lagta hai Batuk ka dost bhi doosri taraf sou gaya. Chalo, kisi se tou baat kar raha hai Batuk. Kitne araam se sou raha hai, uthane ka mann bhi nahi kar raha, mager dawai waqt pe dena bhi zaruri hai...

"Batuk... " he called gently, caressing his head again. "Utho, mere bhai... "

"Big D...aap aagaye? Good morning..." Batuk said with a sleepy smile, stretching his arms out lazily, before realising his position, and straightening up with a jerk.

"Big D... woh mien... phone..." He looked around for the phone, before noticing it back in its place.

"Maine phone wapis rakh dia hai Batuk. Tumhara dost bhi araam se kharaatay maar raha tha."

"Mallika", Batuk mumbled, as last night's conversation came back to his mind.

Anirudh was not expecting a female name somehow. So, straightening up a bit, he asked quizzically, his eyes carefully watching Batuk's flushed cheeks,

"Kya kaha tumne?"

"Woh...Big D...Mien jis dost se baat kar raha tha..." he gestured to the telephone. "Mallika naam hai uska."

Watching him stutter a little nervously, Anirudh's face beamed with happiness at seeing the signs of improvement in his brother's mood and overall demeanor.

Biting back his smile, he asked teasingly,

"Achha... buht hi achhi dost hogy na... isiliye tou baatein khatam nahi hui..."

An answering smile adorned Batuk's lips as he replied dreamily,

"Sabse khaas hai woh..."

And then, suddenly realising what he just said, he hurriedly got up from the desk chair and muttered,

"Woh, mien fresh hou ke aata hu."

Watching him run into the bathroom with a red face, Anirudh shook his head as he chuckled. He was relieved to find his brother behaving like a normal person after a long while.