someone else

At the end of her shift Phoebe was walking to her car when she saw the familiar head of dark hair

"Ethan!" She called out as she speedily walked over to him. He stopped in his spot and turned to face her, smiling slightly when he saw her rushing over to him so he walked towards her for the last few steps.

"Hey." He greeted her.

"Hey?" She questioned. "That's all I get? Where have you been?" She asked, letting her annoyance shine through her tone.

"I'm sorry, I've just been really busy." Ethan sighed, failing to meet her eyes.

"We work in a hospital, we're all really busy, Ethan."  Phoebe countered, she knew it was more than that.

"Look. Maybe we should just pump the breaks a bit, take a few steps back, you know?" He expressed, cringing slightly as he awaited her reaction.

"Pump the breaks?" Phoebe echoed. "Ethan, you haven't spoken to me in over a week, if we go any slower we are just friends again." She paused briefly as the chill of realisation faded over her. "Is that what you want?" She asked softly.

"No." Ethan quickly replied before hesitating. "Maybe. I don't know Phoebe, okay?" He stressed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry for ignoring you, that was shitty of me but I just needed time to think."

"Think about what?" Phoebe asked when his pause lasted too long.

"I don't want to get in the middle of anything. If there are already feelings there then I-"

"What are you talking about?" She questioned in confusion, the conversation taking a turn she didn't expect.

"It's okay if you like him too, I won't hold it against you." Ethan softly replied, wanting her to know he wasn't mad.

"Who? What? I like you." Phoebe stressed grasping ahold of his forearms and pulling him in closer. She was confused and panicked, it sounded like Ethan was ending things and she didn't want that, she was happy with him.
Ethan moved his hand up to cup the back of her neck as he stared into her green eyes, they looked like they were sparkling from the reflection of the streetlights. He didn't want to end things. He was falling for her but he didn't want to come between a friendship...or whatever it was.

"But I think you like him more." He whispered as he rested his forehead against hers.

Phoebe knew who he was talking about, she wasn't stupid. It was the damn night where her eyes lingered too long over her best friend, Ethan had seen it. But she was sure it was nothing, just a minor blip in her emotions that had made her wonder for a moment.
Phoebe wasn't stupid but she was in denial.

Their moment was interrupted by the buzzing of Ethan's phone in his pocket. He let out a sigh and allowed his head to fall on her shoulder for a moment.
"I have to go, I'm running really late." He said as he started to pull away. Phoebe panicked and opened her mouth to try and stop him when he continued. "I'll call you, okay?"

Phoebe simply nodded but before he could fully step away from her, she pulled him back in and placed a firm kiss on his lips. He paused for a second before gripping her waist and deepening the kiss, both of them worried it would be their last. Phoebe slowly pulled away and her eyes flickered open to meet his.
"I'll answer."