[ 67 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A B D I T O R Y

67

"It seems to me that it's much more important to be happy than ordinary

"It seems to me that it's much more important to be happy than ordinary."

Avengers Tower, New York
December, 2014

JAMES CAREFULLY REMOVED THE BEEF from the oven, placing both metal trays on the table. Lucy removed the pie from the oven beside him, twisting her fingertips as the pie dish lowered onto the counter. She shut both ovens, padding around James. He grasped one of the kitchen knives and stared at the beef with anticipation. They both waited for a few minutes, before he carefully sliced into the Wellington.

She leaned her chin against his shoulder, fingers crossed as they both peered at the meat.

"Yes!" They both beamed in unison.

James placed the knife down and turned, grinning from ear to ear as he wrapped his arms around her waist, spinning her in the air. She laughed happily as he held her with care. He placed her back on her feet and they both leaned forwards, nuzzling their noses.

"I was so afraid it was going to be overcooked." James sighed.

Lucy pulled back, poking his cheek with a bright look.

"You worried for no reason, love." She winked at him.

James's eyes twinkled and he rolled his eyes lightheartedly at her.

After they'd started cooking, James seemed to fall back into his usual self. Lucy wasn't sure what had triggered the possessive behavior–it could've been anything, from the smile on Agent–Jack's face, to the laugh that escaped her lips as he fought with the Comm–Brock.

God, she was going to have a hard time remembering that.

Either way, James seemed more loose and relaxed as they shaped the pastry dough for the pie, tossing flour at each other for the mere fun of it. Lucy was only glad the pair were both wearing aprons.

Once they secured the sliced cuts of beef on two fancy platters, the pair traveled down the hall to their respective rooms, changing out of their floury clothes.

She pulled on a soft olive green shirt with a pair of black tactical pants. She would've worn sweatpants but those were technically pajamas, and she never wore jeans because they were impossible to fight in. She supposed she could've dressed up with something else, but Lucy needed her weapons–she couldn't break that particular habit yet, so tactical pants were her favorite.

That was also one of the reasons why she hadn't ventured out of the tower yet, apart from standing on the roof, but that didn't really count.

Well, there were more obvious reasons as to why she and James never exited the tower; remnants of HYDRA were furiously looking for them, and the US government was intent on getting their hands on the pair.