[ 58 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A B D I T O R Y

58

"Forgive those who hurt you; forget those who leave you

"Forgive those who hurt you; forget those who leave you."

Avengers Tower, New York
June, 2014

WINTER TRAINED HIS EYES ON Verfall, widening his stance against the training mat beneath him. The pair stared at each other, overly aware of the eyes watching them. After the debrief—because it was a debrief—they'd eaten their nutrient packets and had shown an eagerness towards the physical tests that could be done that day. Steve had been hesitant to agree, but Natasha had seen the expression on their faces and something no like understanding had passed her gaze. She'd insisted against Steve and Stark had flippantly agreed with her because, supposedly, it'd be cool. After that Steve had to agree and now they were here, in a broad training room.

Verfall watched Winter's shoulders remain tense and she shuffled, feet drawing back. There was a tense silence that settled as Natasha carefully padded forwards, entering the mat. They did not break eye contact with each other as she spoke.

"There are ground rules." Natasha started firmly. "No blades, no firearms and no use of abilities. Do not draw blood and do not kill each other. Understood?"

Verfall's eyes slid to Natasha just as Winter did. They stared at her, dumbfounded. No blades and no firearms? No abilities? But neither of them could fight with their full potential if they weren't allowed to use weaponry.

Verfall shifted into a stance of ease as she stared at Natasha uncomprehendingly. She didn't understand why they couldn't use weapons. They were good enough that neither of them would be capable of drawing blood. She didn't understand what the point of this exercise was if they couldn't show their full abilities. How would they know the pair were useful enough if they didn't see it themselves?

Winter seemed to think the same; his posture changed as he shuffled uncertainly on his feet. How was he supposed to fight? His metal arm was—it was a weapon. So was he supposed to fight with one arm?

They both frowned.

Natasha looked between them.

"Have you. . .never fought each other without weapons?" She asked.

Verfall hesitated.

"No, Natalia." Winter said before she could respond. "Only with weapons and abilities."

Winter wouldn't remember a time when they did spar hand to hand. Verfall couldn't mention it first if he didn't remember it.

Natasha didn't let her surprise seep onto her face. She nodded instead, taking a step backwards off the mat and resuming her position besides Steve and Stark. Sam remained by Steve's side, completely unsure about the whole ordeal.