[ 20 ]

_______________
__________
_____

A V E N G E R S
A S S E M B L E D

20

"I've found it wise to enjoy any time of truce, while recognizing it for what it is

"I've found it wise to enjoy any time of truce, while recognizing it for what it is. A truce."

???, Pacific Ocean
April, 2012

LUCY TRIED TO MAKE SURE everything was put in place. There were a million ways she could reveal Henry's living status to Steve, but most ways ended with Steve pummeling Henry into the ground–which he definitely deserved, but she would've preferred it if he refrained from doing so. She didn't want to jump between them, but there were only so many things she could and couldn't do. She despised it.

Her plan was simple: she'd greet Steve and the other enhanced–Bruce Banner–on the deck of the helicarrier with Natasha. When they entered the actual ship itself she'd carefully tell Steve about the still living and breathing Henry Schaffer. Then she would have to tell him that he was on the ship and hopefully re-introduce them with some but not too many hard feelings.

That was probably asking for too much–Steve would never forgive Henry for what he'd done. He might try to, but she had a feeling it would all be in vain.

She also had more than just a "Henry" problem. She needed to speak with Commander Rumlow and his second in command, but she was reasonably nervous. She knew speaking with Steve meant she'd be walking on a very thin line. So she needed ground rules and a reminder on what she could do. She loved Steve as any best friend would, but she loved James so much more. And she knew if the truth was ever told Steve might not be able to understand.

It was okay if he couldn't. Because she was doing this to make sure James wouldn't be hurt because of what she said or did. And as long as she knew that inside she was satisfied with herself.

It had to be the right thing to do because. . .she didn't know what else she could do.

Nevertheless, she had a major problem on her hands, and she was a little scared of how constricted she'd have to be with Steve.

She raised her fist to knock on the Commander's room door, but she found herself unable to physically hit the wood. Her hand hovered in the air, uncertainty grasping her heart like a sharp claw tearing at her blood vessels. She shivered, staring at the door with pursed lips.

Commander Rumlow wouldn't get mad, especially since Agent Rollins was inside. She'd seen them grab containers of breakfast before heading back inside their room. Not creepily–she'd just been observing the cafeteria like she always did.

She moved to knock again when the door swung open.

She dropped her hand, awkwardly looking at the Commander, who stared at her with a fork in his mouth. He took it out, frowning.