[ 53 ]

_______________
__________
_____

W I N T E R 'S
M I S S I O N

53

"Whenever you know what is right, you must also know the courage that it demands

"Whenever you know what is right, you must also know the courage that it demands."

Queens, New York
June, 2014

THERE WAS A CONSTANT BUZZING in the house. The Commander was cooking pancakes with Agent Rollins; Agent Murphy was humming to himself as he made coffee; Winter was tapping his metal finger against the table; and Henry was typing away on his computer busily. It was too much–being in the same room with everyone else. Lucy's head didn't hurt, it wasn't a migraine that was bothering her, she was just being sensitive. But she didn't think it was efficient for her to stay in the room.

She turned on her heel and exited through the front door, shutting it behind her quietly. The sound of their bickering and movements sounded muted as her bare feet brushed against the grass. She let her eyes flick across the field, glancing at the barn, a pair of highland cows grazing. Lucy stared at them for a long few seconds, before traveling towards the animals.

She wasn't going to touch them–she was too dangerous for that–but she did want to be closer to the living things. It made her feel less shitty about herself, and she was pretty sure the shitty feeling wouldn't go away for a very long time.

She stood a few feet away from the pair, watching as their horned heads lifted to analyze her. The younger one sauntered forwards and Lucy didn't move a single muscle as it's wet nose brushed against her arm. She watched it sniff her, remaining still, until the cow pulled back. She bumped into Lucy, her nose nuzzling into her torso.

Lucy pursed her lips.

"I'm sorry, buddy." She said softly. "I can't touch you."

The cow gazed up at her with round saucer-like eyes and Lucy felt overwhelmed by the sudden cuteness of it. She was big but fluffy and her coat looked so soft and her eyes were all watery and scintillating with sunlight. She was so lovely and precious; the cow chuffed and padded towards someone behind her.

"Do you enjoy giving the Soldier heart attacks?"

She shoved her hands into her pockets, looking at the forest ahead. Birds were shrieking to each other, and she wondered if she could ever chirp away as easily as they did. Not when there was always a threat looking overhead, not when she was flightless and grounded in more ways than one.

Which reminded her of the prospect of being sold, or given.

"Why were you talking to Karpov last night?" She asked, her voice hesitant.