Chapter 38: What Ever Happened To

One to ten years later. Encyclopedias of happenings transpired in that time. But most of the events were charming and mundane – not the stuff of legends, heroes, or books. But it is never fair to end a story without visiting key peoples, here goes:

O0o0o0o0o0o0o

Hagrid married Olympia soon after the war. Between a vat of vile-tasting Skelegrow and Fairy magic, Luna was able to re-grow his arm to his everlasting delight. (She had offered Mad-Eye Moody a new leg and eye, but he didn't trust her enough to take her up on it.).

It took the kind giant a long time to get over the loss of his half-brother, but with the help of Luna and Hermione, they laid Grawp to rest in the cemetery on Hogwarts grounds with other heroes of the war. Many could never understand the love he had for his rough and wild brother, but the two witches fully shared his love and loss.

Olympia and Hagrid had five kids, all of whom inherited giant-kind's original size, but their parent's intelligence and disposition. In a generation the giants did return to Europe, but not the violent beasts of yore, but kind and gentle wizard giants.

Hagrid remained with the Ministry for years. Olympia gradually and lovingly changed his dress and hygiene habits, and he turned out to be quite the figure at the many Ministry social gatherings. They settled in a large estate with very high ceilings, and although Hagrid never took to romping the forest with dragons again (at least more than a weekend at a time), strange pets would come home with him quite often.

O0o0o0o0o0o0o

Ginny Weasley married Dean Thomas, and it turned out to be a brilliant match. Although she carried a torch for Harry for a time, her new placing in Slytherin helped both Ginny and Dean to understand themselves better, and she came to realize Harry really was too dorky for her. She became a professional Quidditch player for Puddlemere United for a few years and Dean worked for the Daily Prophet. They had one child, a son they named Dean Jr.

Ron followed his dream and became a keeper for the Chudley Cannons. Eventually he rose to captain and actually led the team to many winning seasons. Harry and he stayed friends, although not extremely close. Close enough though, that every year as a joke Ron would send Harry a box of Honeydukes chocolates, the latest Cannon's poster, and a nice gift too.

He never entirely got over the shame of his piggish attitude toward Hermione while he was under Dumbledore's influence. As it happens so often, guilt kept him from repairing their former friendship, and he avoided her for the rest of his life. Ron ended up marrying Lavender Brown, who insisted on continuing to call him 'Won-Won', but despite that turned out to be a loving wife and nurturing mom. She gave embarrassing nicknames for all four of their children, too.

Percy Weasley did work his way up the ladder in the Ministry – by becoming an auror. Having taken his life lesson to heart, and proving his worth at the final battle, he trained hard and prospered. He married his childhood sweetheart Penelope Clearwater, and they had a tasteful 2.5 children. He never could break out of his love of rules and statistics.

Molly and Arthur settled gladly back in the Burrow. They expanded some of the rooms and kicked the ghoul in the attic out to a shed, but it stayed the same sweet home they had always loved.

They adopted a couple house elves, and Molly opened an orphanage for children left homeless from the war. With twenty children in the house, she was in her glory. Many were found perfect and happy homes, but they ended up adopting the final eight. Wizards do live very long lives, so why not start over.