Chapter 9: A Second Childhood

The house woke late the next day, and people drifted like zombies down the stairs in twos and threes to grab a late breakfast. Yawning but hospitable, Molly cheerfully served them all.

Harry, however, pretended to snooze on when Ron dressed and left the room, shooting a dirty look at him as he walked out the door. Harry sat and looked around. Swiftly he removed the necklace Ginny gave him and laid it on the dresser next to the penseive from Dumbledore. Rubbing his Potter ring twice he glanced around the room. The necklace glowed the familiar blue of a loyalty charm. "No surprises there", Harry scowled to himself. Next, the penseive glowed a strange shade of green. What does this mean? Harry pondered. That color means some sort of security leak…what and how?

Casting a quick bubble shield around Ginny's gift, he put it back on to avoid suspicion, and was relieved to see the brief attraction he had felt the night before was gone. He dressed and went down to breakfast.

"Happy Birthday again, Harry dear" Molly crooned at him. "Eat up – you are skin and bones."

Harry grinned at her. Actually, with the three-year training and good nutrition he received from Griphook he was looking rather good, but it was useless to argue against the formidable matron of the Weasley Clan. He could have waddled in looking like Dudley and she would have said the same thing.

He finished up his eggs and sausages and looked around. The house-elves were busy assisting Molly, who was obviously quite fond of them. Hermione was growling something to Ron in the corner about OWLS, while they finished up the last of their meal. He assumed the twins were off to the shop, and there was no sign of Moony or Tonks, so Harry wandered out to the hall. He was gazing up at the stuffed elf heads and was disgusted to see the new addition. Ugly, gnarled Kretcher gazed out with glassy blank eyes. He grimaced at the sight, and before he knew it, had bumped the portrait of Mrs. Black.

Crazy old Mrs. Black, Sirius' mother. The most memorable thing about Grimmauld Place was that everyone was greeted by the insane screeches of the woman who hated all mud bloods, half bloods, half breeds, and people who didn't meet her standards (which was just about everyone). He winced, waiting for the yelling, but nothing happened. Opening one hesitant eye, he peeked at the portrait, and was amazed to see her curtseying politely. "My Lord" she said humbly "how may I serve you?"

Unconsciously Harry felt the Black signet ring camouflaged on his left hand. "Um, how are you today, Mrs. Black?"

The unattractive woman actually blushed. "Thank you for asking, my Lord. I'm well. And thank you for lifting the curse on my painting. I really didn't enjoy being so unpleasant."

"Er, how did I do that?" Harry asked curiously.

"When the Lord of house entered, it lifted the curse of insanity. Sadly, my son was never made Lord because of being wanted, and I had no control over my vile tongue. With the curse controlling me, I had disowned him and lost any chance of recovery."

"Gosh" said Harry, "you are going to be a lot easier to live with now. But please don't tell anyone that I've inherited the title – I don't want anyone to know yet." Mrs. Black did not look pleased. "It's not that I'm ashamed, my Lady. But I have enemies close by that must not know yet. Why don't you take a vacation? Your son's portrait is in my trunk upstairs – I'm sure he'd welcome a sane conversation with you."

Her eyes lit up. "Sirius has a portrait? He is here? I have a chance to make amends then. Yes, my Lord, I will do so. When it is safe to come back out, please let me know." And with a curtsey, she walked out of her frame and Harry pulled the curtains shut.