Chapter 5: Shopping Spree

Harry spent a couple days getting use to the real world again. He missed Griphook deeply – the goblin was like a father to him now. He missed his dry humor and endless patience, and the new world he had opened up to Harry. Not wanting to waste any precious time before Hogwarts started again, and the time when he would have to see Dumbledore face to face, Harry worked hard on his homework and on house chores to minimize tension with the Dursleys.

Ever since encapsulating the parlor vase to keep the hate spell enclosed, Harry had noticed a slow change in his relatives. Dudley wasn't pushing or tripping him as much, and his Aunt and Uncle hadn't yelled in two weeks. Although they were far from friendly, they were not openly hostile anymore. It was an improvement.

Harry woke on a Friday, early July, to the sound of Hedwig tapping on his window. He sleepily let her in; giving her a bit a sausage he had saved from the night before, and untied the letter on her leg. He smiled to see it was from Hermione.

Dear Harry,

Well, welcome to the bookish side of life! I wish we could meet at F & B – but everything is too dangerous now. I can't wait for Hogwarts and access to the library again.

No, I'm still at home with my parents. I have no idea when we will meet or where, but it couldn't be written in a letter anyway, if you know what I mean. And DON'T blame yourself for what happened at the ministry! I'm all better now, I'm sure Ron is, and it's NOT YOUR FAULT! Bella killed Sirius, not you. Voldemort killed Sirius. Not you.

I'm re-reading many of my 5th year books now. I'm particularly enjoying History of Magic when I can drink coffee while reading it and don't have a dead teacher droning at me. Hee hee. Do you remember the war of 1218? It's very interesting – check it out.

Hermione

Harry read the letter out loud to Sirius, who scratched his head and gave a puzzled look. "Harry," he said "I think she's trying to tell you something."

"Hmmm?" Harry was re-reading the letter, and searched through his school trunk for his History of Magic book. "War of 1218, War of 1218…. Here we go". He scanned the pages eagerly. Harry really wanted to keep Hermione as the close friend that he thought she was, but his trust was pretty shaken in human nature at the moment. "Check this out, Sirius" he spoke gleefully, pointing at a passage in the well-worn textbook and reading out loud "The Goblin Rebellion of 1218 doesn't stand out much from the others of the time period, with the exception that the goblin general, Dumalt, was a double agent, paid off by the wizards to give information. It turned out he wasn't pro-wizard or pro-goblin, but merely acting in what he felt was in his own best interests, hoping for money, fame and power." Harry looked up and gave Sirius a meaningful look "Hmmmm – sound like someone we know?"

The portrait snorted. "Yep – I think she's on to Dumbledore too."

"Well" said Harry casting repelling charms around his door, "I'm going to find out I think. I'm going to leave for a couple days. These charms will keep my relatives from knocking on my door or thinking about me." He cast come charms on himself to change his looks – now Harry had curly brown hair (which hid his scar nicely) and brown eyes and changed his glasses. He glanced in the mirror with a smile "Meet Edward Evans, Sirius!"

His godfather smiled. "Gotta love that goblin magic" he grinned. "Where are you going?"

"First I'm going to visit Griphook and get some money. Then I'm going to do some shopping in Diagon Alley and maybe spend the night there, I'm not sure. I'm going to visit Hermione and see if I can tell if she's Dumbledore's or my friend. And I'm going to do some shopping for some decent muggle clothes!" Harry smiled widely. This was going to be fun.