Chapter 26: Back to the Present

Classes were now held in group sessions, with the ghosts in their solid forms helping with the practicals. The four youths learned how to combine their magic to cast tooth-jarring powerful spells, and practical uses for their animagus forms. Harry still had to end days involving his robin form with a tankard of 'liquid medicine' to sooth his ego. At least Malfoy would never see it.

Dueling lessons were getting more and more intense. It was now Founderettes against Founders, and everything short of unforgivables was game. At first it was terrifying to cast slashing and dismembering hexes so close to his friends and fiancé, and very disturbing to be casting them at his beloved teachers. But they quickly learned that Luna could heal just about anything on the spot, and the more brutal the battle, the better the lessons learned.

Brutal was the word for it. The founders had no qualms with hurting the students, and hurting them badly. There was only one time the students relaxed a bit after a duel started getting rough, 'knowing' their teachers wouldn't really hurt them. They spent a full painful week recovering in the infirmary with absolutely no sympathy from their mentors. They never made that mistake again.

So their final group duel started. The fearsome foursome found themselves immediately attacked with a frightening barrage of hexes and curses, which Luna created a strong shield to deflect. Harry leapt forward and struck at Godric with his sword, Neville close to his side. While Hermione started firing off hexes two-wanded at Helga and Rowena, Neville transfigured the torches from the wall sconces to attack Salazar and Harry and he lit upon Godric with swords. Godric was grinning like a maniac.

The founders had succeeded in turning the four wizards into a finely tuned machine. Harry and his friends used their strengths and covered each other's weaknesses. Harry had no doubts that the founders were not giving it their all – they were their teachers and not truly trying to kill them. Battling together, Harry would courageously confront the largest threat to the group, as he had the most skills in dueling and defense, and had the most, well, courage. Luna was the shield of the group – casting powerful blocks and shields, keeping an eye on everyone's health and stamina, and healing as needed. Hermione was the cleverness – casting the unexpected or unforeseen spell. Neville was the staunch and strong ally – a powerhouse of strength fighting his way to victory and never leaving his friend's sides.

This particular duel was dragging on – everyone on both sides was exhausted. Luna sent the group a burst of energy to her friends through her fairy magic, and Hermione conjured a basilisk to attack the founders. As their mentors were avoiding the basilisk gaze, Harry went again for Godric with two wands, and Hermione swiftly changed into her snake form and sank her venomous fangs into Salazar's heel. That would teach him to laugh at her.

Gladly and proudly the founders yielded. They had taught their students well.

O0o0o0o0o0o

They had spent about a year total with the founders, and as the lessons were winding down, they were all feeling homesick to some degree. Although only three weeks had passed in the present world, they had indeed aged and filled out. No longer where they four gangly teens, but four young adults with power and strength oozing out of their very beings. Neville had grown his beard, like Luna suggested, and it suited him. He was now even taller than Ron, and powerfully built, with softly curling black hair tied back in a ponytail. Luna had transformed her custom wand into a staff, and used it in that form most of the time. Both of the women were shapelier and mature looking, with the charisma that comes from self-confidence. Harry didn't feel like he had changed any, but in reality he was wiry muscled, graceful and balanced and had grown a mustache.