Chapter 11: Chatting and Popping

Life settled into a routine over the next two weeks for Harry. Grimmauld Place was sometimes boring, sometimes bustling with activity from order members. Harry and Hermione visited her parents, who were pleased to announce they were closing the house and shop for two years, taking their dental staff and leaving on an extended trip to South America to help the indigenous people with charity work. It was a tearful goodbye for Hermione, knowing she wouldn't see her parents for two years, but Harry gave them the birthday present Hermione had given him so they could communicate instantly from anywhere.

Hermione was almost upset, until Harry promised her she would take house-elf magic lessons with him, and they would be able to communicate telepathically and not need the journals. "That's one way to get another birthday gift out of me, Harry. Now I have to find you something else!" she grinned.

The promise of elf lessons did a lot to appease her hunger for learning. She had left Harry a depressed wreck of a boy only a month ago at the end of school, and now she was bonded with a young man of strength and power who willingly shared his new found talents with her! And although Hermione excelled in the goblin occlumency and concealment charms, she had absolutely zero aptitude for the wandless conjuring and transfiguration. The bushy haired one had to admit – she wasn't use to being anything but the quickest, best, and brightest. This was tough.

Harry and Griphook were excellent teachers – patient, instructive, and knowledgeable. However, it seemed that many wizards and witches were just too used to their wands, and dependant on them, and she was one of them. Harry, on the other hand, had an affinity for all people of all backgrounds and species, and could just emphasize so well with Griphook, he 'got it', and mastered the wandless magic immediately.

Their relationship helped her bruised ego. She truly understood that Harry needed her, and could care less if she didn't excel in something. He valued her, Hermione, as a friend and person more than Hermione the homework helper.

Remus returned from his date with Tonks, looking young and glowing. He reported happily that Tonks was now one of their small number of trustworthy friends, so Harry added a hand on his pocket watch with her face on it. Moony was also pleased to report that Tonks, indeed, was happy to be on a date with him, as he was with her.

Harry and Hermione took frequent visits to Godric's Suitcase and started elf magic lessons with Winky and sometimes Dobby. Thanks to the goblin time stretching enchantments, they would be able to get intensive training in a short time. The first lesson was communication with other house-elves, or individuals of choice.

Winky explained her lessons patiently. "Kind masters, we elves can communicate with all elves, and you will be able to also. But I can not teach you how to talk with all wizards – I don't understand the way human minds work, you see. But as you two are already bonded through goblin magic, you will be able to mind-speak with each other. Now hold my hands and listen to me call for Dobby."

Hermione and Harry were in Winky's mind in a flash. They heard her distinctly call out "Dobby – are you busy?" And just as distinctly heard Dobby's voice come back "just kneading dough, Winky. Do you need me?" Winky answered "Yes please – come to the Master's trunk. I is giving them lessons."

Instantly Dobby appeared with the elf 'pop', hands covered with dough, clothes dusted with flour. He bowed to Harry and Hermione with a flourish. "How can I help Harry Potter and his Grangey?"

Winky spoke solemnly. "Goblins can sometimes mind-speak with their mates. Wizards who do occlumency can sometimes, but it is" Winky winced, "mean feeling. Only elves have learned to talk with all elves, and we don't care where they is. Goblins and wizards can't talk into trunk, see?"