Chapter 21: New Teachers and New Relationships

Start from the beginning

"You should have contacted me sooner, Aunt Petunia" Harry chided her gently. "How's Dudley affected by all of this?"

"Actually, Dudley is doing much better. Vernon put him in rehab and he's clean now." Harry raised his eyebrows. He was aware of Dudley's dealings with drugs for years now, but didn't know his aunt and uncle would ever admit he had problems. "He has been learning less violent ways of expressing himself, and he has lost a lot of weight" she concluded.

"Aunt Petunia" Harry spoke softly, "I never wanted you to go through this. I have no desire for revenge or ill feelings. Dumbledore has done a number on all of us. Remember – he's the one who hexed you guys into hating me."

At this the dam burst, and his once despised aunt wailed. "No, Harry – it only made hating you easier and justified in our minds. It took what was already there and just magnified it. We are horrible, petty, hateful people and we know it now. I always hated Lily because I was so jealous. She didn't do anything to deserve my treatment of her. I saw her baby, you, as a daily reminder of what I was." She sobbed and sobbed as Harry walked over to her sofa and gently held her.

"Aunt Petunia" Harry interrupted her, "yes, you would of resented my mum some. But without that cursed vase in your home, you would have gotten over it. Perhaps you would have favored Dudley over me, and perhaps you would have treated me a bit harsher, but you would not have abused me without its influence. And siblings do not naturally hate each other to the point of violence and neglect – Dudley would not have beaten me like he did without it. The hexing took the faint grumblings in the back of your minds and magnified it a thousand fold. I do not blame you."

She was at the hiccupping stage now, holding her nephew for dear life. "Harry – I'm so sorry. We are all so sorry. How can we make it up to you?"

"By getting through this" Harry smiled. "I will find a wizard counselor for you guys – one who will look and act muggle so you aren't uncomfortable, but you can talk about everything with him. Just please try and leave my identity out of it if at all possible." His aunt nodded in understanding.

"How have you been, Harry?" She asked softly. He smiled encouragingly at her.

"Actually, I've been great. I can't go into details, but I think I'll be ready to confront Voldemort soon, and I don't think it will be as impossible as I once thought. Dumbledore has just found out that you guys are gone and he doesn't know where I am – he's a tad upset." Harry grinned to himself. "Oh yah – I'm engaged."

"W-w-what?" she stuttered again. "You are too young!"

"Don't worry, Aunt Petunia" Harry grinned. "First of all, arranged marriages and early engagements are actually quite common in the wizarding world. Even though wizards live a very long time, they tend to find their mate early and remain very faithful. Secondly, Hermione and I, besides being best friends since my first year at Hogwarts, have spent virtually years together due to magical time management. We are very aware of what we are doing, but we will not rush the marriage. And you guys will be invited to the wedding."

Petunia looked down into her lap. "I'd really like to meet your fiancé, Harry" she spoke wistfully.

"I'll bring her with me when I find your counselor" Harry placed a hand on her shoulder. "I've got to go now, Aunt Petunia. I'll see you in a day or so, ok?"

With a tentative first hug, Harry broke off from his now calm and hopefulaunt and took the floo back to the suitcase.

O0o0o0o0o0o0o0o