💙 Blueprints Pt.2 💙

That night, Nya had to sit through her mother's scolding–not that Nya already knew how petty she acted–which lasted for more than an hour, much to her dismay.

"Do you know what kind of image this puts on your father?!" Maya exclaimed, she was pacing through the living room while Nya sat on their couch. "Every single time, Nya! We are already giving you the freedom to choose whoever you want."

"But that's not what I want, mom! I'm not ready to settle down just yet." Nya remained calm, keeping her voice steady enough to make sure it didn't seem like she was talking back.

"Then what do you want, Nya? To be stuck here all your life?"

It was a question she had been waiting for a long time now. The perfect opportunity to tell her mother her plans.

Nya remained quiet.

Maya sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "Look, we'll host another dinner with the Gordon's and you will apologize for your behavior." Nya's mouth opened to voice her concerns but her mother refused to let her speak. "We'll see what your father has to say about this."

With that, her mother left her with her own thoughts. Nya let out a breath she was holding and looked down at her hands. The same hands that were used to create blueprints were now bound to chores and children.

Nya didn't want this life. She didn't want to be controlled, to be told what to do and what not to. She stomped to her room, slamming the door behind her before pulling out all her drawings.

"Wha–what's going on?" Kai asked, jolting up from the sound. He rubbed his eyes and looked around the small room. "Nya?"

"Oh, sorry." She looked up from the piles of paper and shot him a smile. "You can go back to sleep, Kai."

Without another word, Kai complied and turned his back to her, resuming his sleep. For the rest of the night, Nya stayed up to perfect her drafts. Sketching different outlines and designs until her hand couldn't handle it anymore.

Click.

Nya lifted her head and looked around to see where the sound was coming from. Nothing.

Click.

The sound was starting to get to her nerves. 

Click.

Shards of glass broke from her window as a small pebble entered the room. Nya got up to check who in their right mind was trying to mess with her.

"Jay?!" She whispered at the sight of the curly-haired boy standing outside her window, his eyes wide as he tossed the pebble in his hand.

"I am so sorry about your window." He started rambling. "I–I can pay for it or–."

Nya held her hand up. "Just stop. It's okay." She started picking up the shards of glass as Jay approached the window. "What are you doing here?"

"I left something." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I wanted to knock but all the lights were closed except for this one."

"So you thought it was a good idea to throw pebbles?"

"Not until I broke the window."

Nya finished cleaning the glass and headed for the door of her room.

"Come on, I'll let you in."

As she went to unlock the front door, Jay was already waiting outside. Given how small their house was, it was no surprise he got there faster than she expected.