"So, are you here to watch, bet or race?" Chancey pulled me from my head and asked a question I hadn't thought about.

"Maybe I'll watch for now," I said, keeping my eyes on the people surrounding three cars. "Hey, who's racing?"

"Jarrett, no surprise there. It'll be bad for his ego, though," Chancey pointed to the blue sports car, and I saw Jarrett smiling as he spoke to some of his friends. "That's some kid- I think his name was Cyrus," He moved his finger to the white car beside the blue one. The kid was already in the car. "And me in that black car."

I spun my head to face him with surprise.

Chancey laughed and shook his head, watching me with equal surprise. "You didn't expect that, did you? It's fine. I didn't expect to either. But I want to try just this once. I got a lot on my mind, believe it or not, and I feel like taking a spin."

His laughter died down, and a contemplative look passed on his face. I wanted to ask if everything was fine with him, but Harloe's voice burst through the vibrant atmosphere.

"Listen up!"

Hi to you too.

"Only three rounds tonight. Each round goes for half an hour. Start here, finish here. From my street, past Griffin's Park, all the way through route Greenway, then back here the same way," He shouted, making sure everyone got it.

I memorised the way in my head, recalling the destinations he pointed out.

"Up first," Harloe turned his pale face to the three cars. The drivers were all seated in them except for Chancey. "Jarrett, Cyrus and Chancey." Harloe glanced around the crowd, looking for him.

"Wish me luck," He murmured to me.

"Hope you don't die," I told him, spotting the grin he gave me before he turned away.

Jogging to his car, the crowd became louder, and I wondered what the residents in the houses around us were doing. Harloe's parents were on vacation, and I wondered if the rest of the street was, too. The house lights were off, and not a single person stood out in their yard to watch.

It wasn't long before the monstrous sounds of engines bellowed from the cars, erupting the spark of cheers from the crowd. My eyes widened slightly, impressed when Chancey revved and glanced at the person beside me. I turned, curiously and shot my eyebrows high in surprise.

"Indigo?"

She turned to face me, a distant look of shock on her face. It faded before she said, "Hey, Gabriel."

"Here to watch Chancey?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

He had been crushing on her since ninth grade. When Indigo's father passed away, they drifted. Now, as he told me, Chancey won't stop at anything to get her back - maybe as something more than friends.

"Maybe," She shrugged, facing the cars again. "Are you going to race?"

"Maybe."

The corner of her lip lifted in a small smile.

"Serenity came along with me."

I didn't register her words until a single tug on my shirt forced me to turn around. My first instinct wasn't to get angry at the unexpected touch. It was to hold Serenity as she almost lost her footing on the ground. My hands shot to her waist, steadying her upright against me. I sucked in a sharp breath, my mind going blank at the feel of her chest against mine.

Chest. Oh, shit.

She must've read my thoughts and pulled back instantly. The loss of her body warmth sent a cold blow to my skin, yet I relished in the touch I just had on her. I had her in my hands.