Chapter 51: Harper

I actually considered wearing the jersey Jake gave me, to the extent I pulled its hanger off my wardrobe rack Saturday an hour before the game's start time. With a slight head shake, I pushed that option aside and dressed in silence because Li was at her parents' house. Since Jake wanted to drive Ellie to the airport after the game, I drove solo to the Coliseum.

Right when I pulled into my parking lot spot, my phone buzzed with a text message.

MrsH: Took up your offer.

Looks like Jake's got two post-game airport passengers.

A smile pulled across my lips, which faded when I noticed the time on my phone.

Even if I leave now to get her, we won't make it for the opening kickoff.

As if Mrs. Harrison read my mind, my phone buzzed in my hand.

MrsH: Cab is 10min out. See you at our seats.

That answers that.

me: 👍

As soon as my finger hit the send icon, a large minivan screeched its tires and parked next to me. My eyes rolled when a six-girl Jake brigade stepped out. Each was identically dressed in a number seven jersey and some form of barely-there black shorts or skirts under them.

I'm known to wear tight stuff but the bare minimum standards' line is drawn at camel toe.

Once I stepped out of my car, I wished I hadn't. The backdrop of their duck lips and Jake-related squeals burned into my ears and I lost brain cells the more I lingered within earshot. Individually and collectively, the girls were all attractive but their voices grated nerves down near ovary-punch level.

"We're here!" "Oh my god!" "So exciting!" "Selfie stick time!"

"Jake's starting today!" one of them announced as she scrolled through her phone. "He's so hot, I just can't. Do you think he'll see our message?"

How would he not start? And what the fuck message - No, don't engage Harper.

"Jake's not that hot." One with brown hair who'd temporarily assured me of her taste lost it as soon as she scrunched her nose up. "Logan Hightower though... He can rail me into pleasure town station any time, any day."

My stomach flipped, and not in a good way, at those words.

Only Ellie is allowed to climb Mount Adonis.

"Hightower's taken." A third girl pulled out a stack of cardboard and passed them around. "But I'd break up with my boyfriend for one night with Jake. Why are assholes so good in bed? Even those Jake hate site girls admit that much."

Fact. Wait, what site?

As I locked my car and stuffed my keys in my purse, my eyes caught their two-foot-tall letters that spelled out J-A-C-O-B. Their sixth sign, which was also held up for more pictures, had a giant red heart that I assumed was for the end.

That's actually cute...

Jake fan number four pulled her black hair into a ponytail and leaned against the van. "Ugh, I don't care. Even though Jake has a girlfriend, I'd let both put their balls in my end zone. Or even better, tag-team me."

My brain practically short-circuited at that mental image.

Hold the dildos, did she just say -

"Who's his girlfriend?" I blurted out and six heads snapped up in my direction. "Harrison, I mean."

Girl number one clutched the 'A' sign into her stomach and scowled. "Just some blonde bitch."