Trick Candles

(third person pov)

"Make a wish", Elle told Spencer who was sitting at his desk with a funny birthday cake hat on that Kassie saw in the shop and immediately ran up to the till to buy it.

He didn't think he'd have put it on if it was someone else asking him to.

The rest of the team also made him put the hat on, coming to Kassie's aid a bit too quickly in his opinion.

Reid started to attempt to blow out all of the candles but no matter how hard he tried they always seemed to come back.

"Come on, man", said Morgan. "Blow, baby, blow!"

"I thought you were full off hot air, Reid", Elle teased.

"Come on, Reid!"

Reid kept trying but to no avail.

In Kassie's defense, the trick Candles weren't entirely her idea. Morgan and Elle chipped in.

"They're trick Candles, Spence", Kassie giggled. "They're going to keep coming back no matter-"

But Spencer gave another aggressive huff and puff at the candles like the big bad wolf before handing in his resignation on blowing them out.

"Okay then"

"Mommy to the rescue", Morgan teased and adjusted his birthday hat on his head.

"Mommy?", Spencer asked confusedly as Kassie hit Morgan across the chest.

"Ignore him", Kassie said to Spencer, sending a glare Derek's way.

"Hope you like chocolate", said JJ who was in charge of the cake.

"You blew the wax on the cake, man", Derek complained.

"Sorry", Spencer apologized.

"Let's cut this badboy", said Morgan, practically drooling.

"Okay", JJ laughed.

As the rest of them started to cut the cake, Spencer stepped away to go talk to Gideon for a minute.

"Hey Spence!", kassie called over, holding out a particularly large slice on a paper plate for him. "First and biggest slice for the birthday boy, right?"

"Did you know she's the only one in the whole wide world who calls me 'Spence'", Spencer grinned at Gideon before walking back over to them.

"Sorry, but I have to cut you another slice", Kassie told him as he sat back down beside where she was standing. "Someone", she sent a look Derek's way, "wanted the biggest slice, and, well..."

She motioned her hand to the big pile of cake on the floor.

"You know, it's tradition to push your face in the cake since it's your birthday", Kassie said after everyone had gotten a slice.

"Really? I've never heard-"

Put before Reid could say any more, Kassie had pushed his head down into the cake.

Derek had doubled over with laughter while Elle and JJ just shook their heads and laughed, Hotch and Gideon looking over at them amusedly from where they were standing.

Kassie tried wiping the cake off of Spencer's face but it only made her laugh more.

Spencer, who could see again, laughed too. There was just something about her laugh.

"I'll get you back for this", he said and Kassie sie could see his grin from behind all the cake on his face. "It'll be your birthday soon."

Kassie's smile dropped slightly and she shrugged.

"Yeah, but today is yours", she smiled back. "So for now let's worry about the cake on your face and not mine."

Hotch got off the phone and walked over to them.

"Sorry guys", he apologized, killing the vibe. "Party's over."

Kassie and Reid stayed behind as she tried to get the rest off the cake off of Spencer face before following the others into the briefing room.

"We're going to San Diego", Hitch informed them.

"But not for the surfing, huh?", Morgan joked.

"They're calling him the 'Tommy Killer'", JJ told them as she walked around the table, handing everyone a file.

"Six women raped and murdered in their homes in the last three weeks", said Hotch.

"Six in three weeks?", Elle repeated questioningly, sounding shocked.

"That's a short fuse"

"And getting shorter", said Hotch. "First two were eight days apart, then the next four in two weeks."

"Rapid escalation", said Reid. "You think he's regressing to a psychopathic frenzy?"

"No, he's too controlled for that", said Hotch before standing up. "See you on the plane."

"Why the 'Tommy Killer'?", Morgan asked Hotch as he left.

"You know the rock opera?", Hotch turned around. "Well, this UnSub glues his victims eyes wide open."

He turned back around and left the room.

"He wants them to see him", Kassie thought aloud as she stared down at the haunted picture of the latest victim.

"And feel him", Gideon added.