CHAPTER III

Veronika tapped her foot as she sat on the couch next to Zeon, eying Maricella suspiciously. The arthrogon hadn't moved, as instructed, since Veronika had threatened to use the Stole of Adina on her grandson if she did. She obviously doesn't know how it works, Veronika had thought with a smirk. An innocent child like this would not feel the stole's effects.

The assassin had instructed Maricella to signal her sister and then inform her son of the situation in order to keep Xirxine at bay—and with no other choice, Maricella had complied with both commands. Now all Veronika had to do was wait for her target to show up.

"Why are you doing this?"

Veronika looked at Maricella sharply as she spoke in a shaking voice. "Your sister is a sinner," the Devourer snapped. "She contends vis ze chosen of ze Almighty. Zerefore she must be Purged."

"That's not your choice to make!" Maricella protested.

Veronika chuckled. "You're right. It's not my choice. It is ze vill of God."

"How would you know?!" Maricella cried.

"Enough!" Veronika snarled, standing up. "Vun more vord and your grandson receives his Purge prematurely!"

Maricella fell silent, glaring at the fox-girl.

Veronika slowly walked around the coffee table in the living room, glaring back at Maricella. "I vouldn't expect a sinner like you to understand ze vays of ze Saved," she growled. "So I von't even bozzer trying to explain zem to you. All you must know is all I haff said: Cierra is a sinner, and must be Purged."

The sound of a door creaking open touched Veronika's sensitive fennec fox ears, and her frightening grin returned. "Hm. It seems the time has come," she hissed, licking her teeth with her long, pointed tongue. She headed to the hallway that led to the front door, stopping at the end of it and unsheathing her claws. "Step forth, sinner!" she ordered. "Step forth and face God's wrath!"

       Alexis entered the house and almost burst out laughing, for the person standing at the end of the hall was the one the B-Team had been hunting all night

"Project OLSen". Xirxine International S.A.F.E. Subject V-111. The self-proclaimed "sister" of the most hated person on the planet, Addison Derschwitz.

Veronika.

Alexis subtly activated the homing beacon in her watch (which all Xirxine operatives were given at the behest of the Safe Haven Council), smiling behind her mask. This should be easy enough, she thought. All I have to do is distract her long enough for the others to arrive. That'll make taking her down and saving Mom and Zeon a piece of cake.

"Guten nacht, Sinner," Veronika breathed, gripping the end of her scarf-weapon in her fist. "I haff been expecting you."

Alexis stayed quiet, buying as much time as possible.