13

Not a perfect soldier...

She knew what the decision was but she couldn't bare to put it in to words. Levi, Hange and her sat in silence. Levi went to hold Erwin's remaining arm, the needle was close to his skin. Levi would give Avery quick glances to make sure she was agreeing with the plan, but her eyes stayed on Erwin's as she continued to give him a small smile and rub his hand.

Avery's thoughts were distracted when Erwin's arm suddenly got away from his grip, removing his hand from Avery's. Levi and Avery's eyes widened. Erwin's arm was above his head as if he was raising his hand to answer a question in a classroom.

"Erwin!" Levi snapped, his voice was cut short from his surprised voice.

"Avery..." His weakly muttering alarmed Avery. She reached over and grabbed his hand, "I'm... tired."

She nodded sadly, her bottom lip folded in to try to hold back her quivering lip while a tear slowly escaped her glossy eyes, "Just pay attention to me okay..?" Erwin nodded, a small laugh erupted from his chest but was soon replaced with a wincing Erwin who was in pain.

Erwin was definitely suffering, Avery knew he wanted to rest, it was shown in his eyes. He always worked himself hard, trying to be a perfect soldier for everyone to look up to. Avery slowly closed her eyes and brought his hand up to her lips, planting a soft but long and gentle kiss on the palm of his bloody hand.

To think Erwin was trying to reassure Avery more in the moment as he was dying was ironic. By this point, the others could see Erwin was starting to fade. Lola and Fee made their way over, cautiously, not wanting to interrupt a moment. Lola's face scanned Levi's for any answer she might find.

"We'll be okay," Avery spoke up, giving the strongest smile she could muster. Fee walked over, placing her hand gently on the back of Avery's body. The words seemed to ease Erwin as his eyes started too close.

"You can rest now." and with those last words, Erwin's eyes shut. His face finally relaxing as he's at peace. Hange placed her hands on both sides of his head.

"he's dead." With those words, Avery squeezed her eyes shut, Fee could feel Avery's body tensing. She immediately wrapped her arms around the crying girl. Lola didn't hesitate to run over to her, wrapping her arms around her as well.

And just as those tears fell, they were gone. Anger replaced her, yet she kept it inside and controlled. Levi and Hange got up to go give the serum to Armin. Avery caught sight of the beast titan running off into the forest.

"Stay here."Avery said. Her two friends looked at her, Klaudia had flown over to see, she knew everything that happened. Avery had already stood up, facing towards the forest. She turned her head back to look at Klaudia who was looking at her in confusion, "Where are you going?"

"I'll see you in a minute," Avery softly smiled before taking off with her ODM gear towards the forest. Klaudia was about to yell at her that she should stay here but Avery was already gone.

"We should go after her," Fee interrupted Klaudia's fuming moment. Lola nodded but realized she was somewhat out of gas. The three went to quickly fill up their gas before heading her way.

-

Avery jumped across the branches, barely managing to keep her own balance. Her head was swirling with emotions and voices. The voices that were always haunting her all the time, screaming at her that there were no happy endings.