Chapter 20 - Benjamin, a Watchman of The New Jedi Order

Appa roared as he broke through the clouds. Team avatar sat along the saddle as they hovered high above the winds. Eyes fixated ahead as they were moving deeper and deeper into the fire nation. Avatar Roku, the prior reincarnation of the avatar had told Aang to go there so they could communicate for a longer period. He needed to give Aang a warning and a lesson on his next steps for their journey. Aang, also needed help to aid Benjamin...

Katara sighed as she knelt along the saddle. Her hands combing through Ben's hair as she used her free hand to move up the blanket over him. His eyes were closed, his breathing was hollow. He looked to be asleep, but Aang told them the gravity of the situation.

When he entered the spirit world, he couldn't leave. His soul or rather spirit...was lost there and they needed to enlist Roku's help in getting him out and back to the world.

Jet sat there and watched the fallen Jedi. Hands through his hair as he sighed. "I still don't understand, what happened?"

"Well, you see..."

Jet shook his head, rendering Aang mute. "No, that's not what I mean. Benjamin, he is different. He's changed ever since that time in the forest."

"What do you mean?" Sokka asked.

Jet leaned against the saddle. Eyes fixated on Ben as he remarked on what he had heard through the grapevine and rumors. "He's meant to be this powerful jedi...taking on all these people and great warriors. He destroyed Zhao's warship, killed numerous dark Jedi and fire nation soldiers, but after what happened in the forest..."

Katara remembered of her and Ben's interaction beforehand. That spaced out look in his eye and even remarked on his hesitation and fear. "Yeah..." Sokka muttered. He and Jet had a rocky relationship beforehand, but he was onto something. "No...not just before the forest. Ben's been changing slowly for a long time now. Ever since he built his lightsaber."

He remembered that time in the cave. After Ben blasted that creature with powerful volts of electricity that cracked and burnt the air. The way his golden eyes turned into euphoric orange, the way his voice roared as he had to fight with Ben to drag him out of the cave. It was a hunger, he wanted to fight more and to keep on going.

Aang strained his eyes ahead. He didn't understand what was going on. Yet, a part of him felt...guilty. Was it due to him that Ben was struggling so much? He was different from Sokka and Katara because he was told to go with him...

He remembered that time in the end of the chasm...of Ben confessing to him what he had done. Was he forcing himself to go with them?

Aang shook his head, it didn't matter right now...all that mattered was to focus and head to the fire nation and talk to Roku. Finish their conversation and get Ben the help he needs. "So, what are we going to do..." Sokka murmured.

Jet's eyes widening as he turned towards the warrior. "What..." He mouthed as he looked back at Katara and Aang. They were past the fire nation borders at this moment. "You don't have a plan?"

"No?" Aang carelessly spoke. "We usually just wing it like Ben does...or Sokka comes up with something on the fly."

Jet shook his head as his eyes darted to the side. They were here...officially within fire nation territory. He could see the ornate temple along the top of a huge mountain. Aang ushered Appa to descend as the large bison landed far away from the temple but was still close enough to get to walking distance.

The gang began to disembark as Momo curled along Aang's shoulder. The avatar taking him off and pointing towards Ben's body. "You got to watch out for Ben while we're gone." Aang ordered. The feline just staring at him as he let out a sigh. Momo curling along the top of Ben as Aang rolled off of Appa's tail.