Chapter Thirty-Five: Cries from the Plain

Start from the beginning

The riders were coming slowly, a long line of them cresting the hill. Too slowly for attackers. I couldn’t see the banners they carried clearly, but they were white, green and gold – king Arthur’s colours. A troop of one hundred riders was followed by a large golden carriage, which was surrounded by a magical green glow. The first riders reached the back lines, and a cheer rippled slowly across the camp, rising up to the tower. I had seen that green glow through Epicene’s eyes, surrounding Arthur’s sword Excalibur.

‘K-K-K-K-King Arthur’s here t-too.’

Melwas stood. ‘Weapons. We must join King Mark’s defences. Arthur’s arrival is a sure sign of coming attack.’

Mordred leapt to his feet. ‘We will, my love. We will.’ He looked around the room. ‘And any of you who want to stay. But... Piers: do you think you could rig a bridge to cross Queen Melody’s Wit the other way?’

The farmer exhaled. ‘Mebbes, aye.’

‘Good. Build one. Quickly.’ Mordred went to the door.

‘Where are you going?’ said Bellina, quietly frantic with fear now she knew Merlin and Arthur were below.

‘To get my sister. Those of you leaving by the tunnels are taking Iseult with you, and any of the people of Tintagel who want to escape.’ He pulled at the door, but it would not budge. He rattled the handle, then pounded on the door with his fist. We were locked in. ‘Let me out!’ he screamed.

He was so focused on the door that he did not hear the grating noise behind him. The rest of us did. It came from the corner nearest me. A new crack formed in the grey wall, and a hidden door opened from the inside. Two small hands poked round the edge and pulled hard.

‘Let me out!’ screamed Mordred at the other door. ‘Take me to my sister!’

When the secret door was two thirds open, the small hands were followed by a small face and masses of curly brown hair. ‘Alright there,’ said Petal. She came a little way into the room, and stood to attention for someone who was coming up the dark passageway.

‘M-M-Mordred.’ I saw who was following Petal before the others. ‘M-M-Mordred!’ He didn’t hear me; being so near to Iseult after all those long years had driven him to desperation.

The rest of us, however, watched as Queen Melody entered our chamber through the secret door, passed Petal, and came to a halt. She frowned at Mordred’s anguish, peering at him as if he was a small boy making a fool of himself at a feast. ‘Young man,’ she said. ‘Young man!

The sound of her raised voice shocked Mordred out of his frenzy. He stopped hammering and turned to face the new arrival.

Satisfied that she had stunned him into calmness, Queen Melody opened the purse that hung from her side, and produced from it a long, thin key. She held it up for Mordred to see. ‘This will take you to Princess Iseult with dignity, rather than an unseemly commotion. But first I require words with you.’

* * *

I kept an eye on the camp as Queen Melody settled herself into a chair. King Arthur’s riders had now passed the rearguard, and the king’s carriage disappeared into Merlin’s magical sphere. The green aura of Excalibur glinted over the surface of the crystal disturbance. There had been no further movement that I could see. If Arthur had given orders to mount an attack then they hadn’t yet started making their preparations.

‘I had rather hoped that your arrival might shock my husband into a different state of mind,’ the queen explained when she was seated. ‘Alas, as I have explained, my husband is honourable, and rigid in his ways. He will not surrender to the usurper, and neither will he flee. My husband will execute any Cornish who attempt to desert, but I see no reason why you should die here with us, if you can find your way out. You believe it possible to cross Queen Melody’s Wit towards Brad’s Escape, yes?’