Cricket's Story//Chapter 72

Start from the beginning

Luffy gaped at the man, "What, so there's no such thing!?"

After the hearty laugh, Cricket calmed down and relaxed, "Ha..." He looked on in a daze, "Who knows for sure... I do know of one man who said it existed... But the entire world labelled him a liar, and his entire family line's been a laughing stock ever since."

Both Faythe and Luffy slowly turned their heads to Usopp in question.

"IT'S NOT ME!"

It was quiet for a moment until Noland spoke again, "'Noland the Liar,' Is how his story goes..."

The two both look at Usopp again in question.

"I TOLD YOU ALREADY, IT'S NOT ME! EVEN THE NAME'S DIFFERENT!"

"You're his descendant!? And this island is the very Island in the story!?" Nami quickly caught on.

Cricket looked out the window, "He's the grandfather of my grandfather... of my grandfather, and so on up the line... Suffice to say, he's a distant ancestor of mine, which is troubling to say the least.. I probably share as much blood with him as mosquito can carry in it's belly."

"...Damn." Faythe commented.

Cricket glanced over at the crew, "The Montblanc family's been run out of that kingdom, but their abuse and humiliation by the people's hands still continues... But not a single Montblanc member resents him..."

Chopper waddled up with a curious gaze, "Why's that?"

"Because Noland," Cricket aid in grave seriousness.

"Was a man of upstanding honesty."

"What?" Faythe muttered, letting her arms drop to her sides.

"In the final scene of the picture book, Noland says, 'Ah, that's it! The mountain of gold must have sunk into the sea!' There, he's drawn with a stupid smile on his face, but the real man supposedly died with big blobs of tears streaming down his face."

Scrunching up her brows, Faythe frowned at the children book, her arms crossed, 'Who would ever smile in the face of death, while being called a liar...?' Looking over her crewmates to gouge their reactions from his story so far, until they landed on her Captain who just kept a blank face. A small smile grew on her face.

'Maybe one person.'

"He was absolutely sure that the island that they'd landed at, was the same Jaya where he'd discovered the ruins of a golden city." Cricket continued, "The thought that maybe he had seen an illusion never even crossed his mind. Noland claimed that an earthquake must have caused the city of gold to sink to the ocean floor, but people could only see it as a desperate excuse made to save his own skin, and the crowd mocked him to no end as he was executed."

Usopp let out a determined huff with a sweat of nervous falling down his head, "So then! Have you come here in search of the golden city at the ocean floor, so that could wipe away your family's dishonor!?" He exclaimed.

In a flash, Cricket whipped out his pistol in seconds and aimed t Usopp in a irritation, "DON'T BE STUPID!"

Faythe grabbed the back of Usopp's pants and yanked him to the side and kicked her leg upwards at Cricket's gun, disarming him in one smooth movement.

"FAYTHE! USOPP!" Chopper exclaimed worriedly.

The cowardly trio hid behind Faythe as they noticed Cricket get more annoyed by the second. Luffy was huffing and puffing at the man in question who dared point a gun at his crewmates.