13: Amour in Alola

"Who is Serena?" 

Our heads turned to Paul, who was at the table sipping another rather large glass of Orange Juice.

"She was my girlfriend..." I replied.

"I know that," he interjected, "but do I have any reason to care who she is... well, was?"

"If you don't care, then just leave, smart ass!" Zinnia shouted.

"I want to. That's why I'm asking." He said dryly.

"Paul please stay," I said, "and stop arguing with Zinnia."

"No." They said immediately, getting back to their bickering.

I noticed Lana sitting quietly, looking downwards. 

"Hey, you okay?"

"I'm sorry." She broke. "I didn't know that Serena was dead and you weren't."

"Hey, no worries," I said. Everything's in the past now."

"But somehow it still got the better of us today..." she said, "It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Paul, please stay."

Paul took a moment to think. "...I'll stay for your sake," he decided, pulling his chair from the dining area near the couch. I wondered when... and how Paul and Lana got so close. Maybe they knew each other before the tournament? Either way, I knew I could get answers in time.

Zinnia, now realizing she was alone, reluctantly sat beside me on the couch.

"I want to say something first," Lana said. "I forgive you, but you're a massive hypocrite Ash."

"I know. I shouldn't have left."

"That's not what I was going to say." she said. "You were upset that Serena died, so you made us think you died for three whole years. You know I'm gonna tell everyone else about this, right?"

"No please don't!"

"I'd be horrified... finding out you were still alive." Paul said bluntly.

Zinnia punched him.

"You said it yourself," said Lana. "I deserved to know the truth, and they deserve to know as much as I did."

"I'll tell them!" I said. Zinnia gave me a concerned look. "Just give me time, a few days maybe. To sort myself out."

"You had three years." Paul interrupted.

"Why do you care anyway?" I asked.

"I don't"

"Tell you what. I'll tell you my side of the story. What I did and how I felt during the whole ordeal. In exchange, you give me information and give me time to tell the Alola Gang on my own."

She considered this. "Elaborate. What information?"

"Just general stuff on the world. What changed, what didn't. I spoke to a professor already, but he didn't have all the info I wanted."

"You spoke to a professor before me?"

"Hey! It was before I got to Geosenge!"

She sighed. "Fine, I wouldn't call you leaving 'an ordeal'... but I accept."

"Answer my question first," Paul said.

Zinnia coughed. "I thought you didn't care." 

"I don't, but since I'm staying I want my question answered first. Who is Serena?"

"Serena..." I said, clearing my throat. "We actually met in Pallet Town a long time ago." I said, "But we reconnected in Kalos a few years ago. We traveled around the region with some friends. I was the Kalos League runner up and she almost became Kalos Queen.