8: Exhibition of Power

Ash's POV

Ironic.

It's been three years since I left civilization, and almost six since the Lily of the Valley Conference, and I'm back here. Battling in a tag-battle alongside Paul. But this time, we're against Pokemon League Champions. 

I was tempted to use Infernape just to spite him, but some weapons are best kept hidden.

Paul didn't hesitate to attack first though. "Froslass, shoot an Ice beam at Haxorus."

"Take it." said Iris, seemingly unphased as her ace was slammed with a super-effective attack.

I was slightly confused, but I wasn't going to let it ruin our momentum. "Pikachu, fire a Thunderbolt at Gardevoir."

"Light Screen." she said, surprising me. Champion Diantha is famous for her incredible ability to fully communicate with her Gardevoir via eye contact alone, so it's surprising to see her not utilize that in an exhibition match.

Regardless, the Electric-type attack easily crashed through the Gardevoir's Light Screen, leaving the Psychic-type at the mercy of Pikachu's thunderbolt.

Seems like training with Mimey paid off.

"Quick, Teleport." said a surprised Diantha. Pikachu's thunderbolt seemed to graze Gardevoir's shoulder, but she shook it off and reappeared at her trainer's side, avoiding the bulk of the attack.

"That was impressive, both of you..." Diantha commented, "But not enough. Gardevoir, Life Dew."

The world stood still as all four of us analyzed our situation. The once roaring audience now was dead as midnight, feeling the tension of some of the strongest trainers in the entire world. After several seconds of silence, I decided to start attacking again.

"You 'Champions' can't win on defense alone. Pikachu, close the distance on Gardevoir."

"Froslass, keep your distance. Cover it with Shadow Ball." Paul ordered briskly.

The champions did nothing.

As Pikachu quickly darted towards Gardevoir, a sly grin appeared on their faces.

"Shit. Call Pikachu back!" Paul shouted suddenly.

"Wha-"

"Checkmate. Gardevoir, Point Blank Dazzling Gleam."

"Cut through it with Iron Tail!."

"Catch it, Haxorus."

To my dismay, the 'Dazzling Gleam' was a bluff, Gardevoir teleported away, and Haxorus quickly caught Pikachu with his mouth. 

Pikachu was literally in the jaws of the enemy.

What confused me is how Haxorus got so quick, but that's not a priority right now. Paul's Froslass fired multiple Shadow Balls, but Diantha's Gardevoir countered with Shadow Balls of her own, and ultimately, none connected with Haxorus.

(There's probably a "bols in yo jaws" joke in there somewhere, but I'll leave that to you.)

"Pikachu, try to free yourself with discharge," I said, hoping that a last-ditch effort could suffice.

"Crunch!" Iris commanded.

What I witnessed could only be described as Pikachu being tortured by the enemy Pokemon. I was about to fire a command, but I stopped myself. Pikachu looked barely able to survive, much less counterattack. It was almost baffling to me how powerful that Crunch attack looked. Even if it's a Critical Hit, there's no reason it should hit so hard...unless... Pikachu was doing everything to plan, but the pain Pikachu looked to be in made me question if we were even ready for this tournament. They say that Haxourus's tusks can crush steel. What they don't tell you is that they crush dreams.