"I just don't want to see her get fucked up by you. Leave her alone." With that, he stalks away from me, going to stand with some other random people. My mind is left confused, mouth hanging open as I fall out of my stretch. 

Here's the deal with Jamie. We had to meet when my dad married my stepmom as he was her nephew, but he's always been a little... weird. Always up in people's business and trying to act like a hero. There's nothing explicitly wrong with him, well, I don't think, but I've always had a weird feeling about him. So I don't know whether to believe him, or if he's just spinning this story because he's jealous. But whatever situation it is, I need to figure it out. 

I don't miss the stares as I cross the circle, pulling Melanie out of a stretch and pulling her behind me. 

"Get in the water now guys, warm up." I call behind me as I lead Melanie away from the group. She complains the whole time we're walking, and only stops when I let her go. We're standing out of sight in a long, cold corridor, dim lighting covering us. 

"What the fuck Whitlock? What was that for?" she asks, her eyebrows raised as she yells at me.

"Did we kiss at that party?" I know if Coach comes back to the group and we're not there we'll get in trouble, which isn't fair to Melanie, hence my straightforwardness. She doesn't speak for a second, but the look on her face tells me the rumours are true.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ask, my voice softer as I look into her deep brown eyes.

"Because I wasn't 100% sure it was you. I had a suspicion it was, but I didn't just want to accuse you of it, especially seeing that you can't remember anyway. Who told you?"

"Green. He said like half the team knew. Apparently, that's who we were playing with." Her face tells me she has no idea who I'm talking about, so I nod my head and quickly rush through an explenation.

"That kid who introduced himself after we figured out who'd be swimming what with coach. He's my step-cousin. Anyway, apparently we were playing 7 minutes in heaven or something."

"Yeah, I mean I remember kissing someone in a darkish room, and by the faint accent I heard I assumed it was you." I place my hands on my hips, taking a deep sigh as Melanie looks out towards the pool. 

"Okay, what do we tell people then? I assume you don't want people knowing you kissed me." Melanie snorts, shaking her head. 

"They already know, we'll only be bringing more attention to us if we entertain it more. Just let it go Whitlock."

"Yeah, I guess it isn't the first time this has happened." She does a whole body shake as I remind her of our Sophomore year, smiling as she cringes.

"This doesn't change anything between us right?" I add as we start to walk out of the corridor and back into the open.

"No of course not, I'm still going to beat your ass out there."

"We're not even in the same competition?"

"Still." She pulls her thick hair into her swim cap, laughing softly before continuing. 

"I guess we should stop going to the same parties if you can't stop accidentally kissing me. Your kindergarten crush on me is getting a little too intense Whitlock."

"Oh please, I do not have a crush on you. I'll have you know, my accent get's me any girl I want."

"Not every. You haven't charmed me yet Mr British."

"Yeah because I've barely tried. After a week of really trying, you'd be knocked down like a feather by my charm."

"Dream on."