Inside Hyrule Castle

Link and Malon ventured up the avenue that led to the castle. The urban landscape evolved into a more open one, as the avenue became an uphill path. It took them to the top of a hill that overlooked the city... an extravagant site for an extravagant edifice. The Royal Palace was large and symmetrical, its masonry matching the stone in the grassy hills about it. Octagonal turrets on the corners surrounded three central towers, which were topped with pyramidal roofs of a periwinkle slate, each with its own royal purple flag fluttering about the top.

They reached a gate surrounded by massive gardens of colorful flowers and bushes. The gate held an immovable quality with that white stone. It was crowned with a carved eagle overlooking the grounds' visitors. They approached the guard at its side, Malon slightly ahead.

She asked, "Hello, I am looking for my dad, the milk delivery man."

"Milk delivery? Wasn't that scheduled to arrive this morning?" he inquired.

"It did," she replied politely, "but you see, he must have fallen asleep somewhere... he falls asleep a lot. May we go look for him?"

"So, you're Talon's daughter. My, Miss, I had no idea he was still around here. Of course, I'll let you go in to look for him, but... who is this with you?"

He looked at Link, and Link grew nervous. Surely the guard would not let some random boy in at the risk of causing some sort of mayhem. It was then Malon said, "This is my cousin. His family is visiting ours back at the ranch."

"Oh, I see." The guard proceeded to signal the gate mechanic inside the side tower to slide open the wrought iron bars. As they cranked open, the guard said, "I would come with you, but I am not to leave my post. Please stay off the flowerbeds, keep your voices down, and if anyone asks, tell them the guard at the front gate let you in."

So, Link and Malon traversed up the path, through the gardens, and towards the front of the castle. Its regal stature was emphasized by a moat... and a drawbridge that was closed. They ventured off to the side of the castle, searching for a back door where deliveries arrived.

They finally found a back door, with a stack of crates next to it, each marked with a silhouette of a cow with a nose ring. Sure enough, Talon was fast asleep, his back against the stack. He indeed looked like a rancher, with his tattered overalls and muddy boots. He was a hairy man; his hair ran up from his hands to his arms and seemed to burst from the collar of his red shirt. He had facial hair across his face except for his chin. Other than that, it seemed the only place he lacked hair was the top of his head. This plump man was snoring quite loudly; Link was astonished he wasn't noticed.

"Okay, Fairy Boy," Malon addressed Link, "if you're going to sneak into the castle, I'd rather my dad not know about it. He has nothing to do with it, and I don't want him to lose his orders from Hyrule Castle. So, hurry and do what you need to do. I'll wait here, and then we'll wake him up together. Then we'll leave like nothing ever happened. So, don't get caught!"

"Wait, don't you want to know why I'm doing this?"

"I saw your face when the guard told you about the man who's visiting here. This man is dangerous, is he not?"

Malon seemed to have the ability to read people. She knew Link was not out to stir a ruckus, and if she had laid eyes on Ganondorf herself, she would see his malevolence too.

With this recognition came a silent understanding. Link grimly turned away and began scouting the perimeter for a breach. Not too far away from the back door was a fountain feeding the moat. It was a hole with water trickling out of it, just big enough for him to squeeze through. He crossed the moat and climbed up to it, where he condensed his body, and inched through.