And Satan whispered to the fandoms....

And Satan whispered to the fandoms: go forth and multiply, my terrible fanfictions.

Lately the most recent trend of fanfiction is the 5sos fanfiction. I like their music but I'm not a devoted follower. But.
the fanfictions they spawn.
AAAHHHHH!! I love how all fanfictions are literally just fiction. not. If you're going to write about real people, at least do your research and get your facts right because with fanfiction, you shouldn't really be changing whole chunks of obviously known info about their past! It's the little things you manipulate. Like, not changing their nationalities or anything.
So when half a billion 5sos fanfictions as well as one direction fanfictions come up as all there is for the fanfiction genre on this site, then I get to know the fruits of wisdom that tell me that the Australian 5sos boys have 534 different girl best friends over in the US and have known these tragic girls since they were young kids.
I didn't know they suddenly switched nationalities .... but I also get to find out that Harry Styles has multiple personality disorder in the 18,593,927 ways he has been characterised as in every different story (or words help you, all in the same story).
And you can't even begin to describe how dirty tv and book fandoms have become.
I'm talkin, if two male characters so much as look at each other in a kind way one time or are bros, then the entire fandom starts shipping it.
"They looked at each other!!! It's a ship!!"
What has this world come to, that tumblr becomes the merry go round for the dirtiest, unholiest imaginations to spawn into the world? What has this world actually come to when nothing will ever be able to stop the wildest fanatic conspiracy from being proved wrong?
This is what fandoms have become:
*straight guy 1 talks to straight guy 2*
Fandom: they are SUPPRESSING THEIR HOMOSEXUALITYYYYY
*straight guy 1 befriends striaght guy 2*
Fandom (or should i say tumblr?): it's not a friendship, it's a secret fiery passionnn
*guy who hasn't ever had a girlfriend is friends with another guy*
Fandom: He's gay because he's never had a girlfriend

*cough* JOHNLOCK

g/night my fandomies.

Edit July 2021: I'm working backwards through these chapters, so you're going to see a lot more of these edits. Essentially, these dissolved into more rant and snark than constructive help, so without further ado:

Rambling point #1: be wary where you tread with fan fiction about real people. If you get basic facts wrong, it already sets you off on the wrong foot.

Rambling point #2: have an explanation for your unrealistic plot points. (But no, Harry Styles' 18,593,927 personalities could never be explained.)

Rambling point #3: Let straight guys be friends. Or at least, try not to fetishise them.