33

Jordan

"I can't do it, man. I've gotta fly back and make this right."

I was so fucking tired I was practically slurring. It was an ungodly early hour and I was standing in my hotel room in San Francisco in my underwear gripping my phone like a lifeline. It was seventeen hours since Nora walked out and I was falling apart. I'd barely eaten. I hadn't even slept.

At the other end of the line I heard a very tired Brody sigh. "Not today, brother," he said. "There's not enough time."

"I can fly up there and make it back for the show. There's gotta be a way."

"And then what? Even if we could make the flights work, what are you gonna do? Talk to her for an hour, turn around and fly back out to do another show? Risk getting held up at Customs and fucking over your fans? What's the point of that?"

I paced the length of the hotel room feeling like a fucking caged lion, all the things I should've said to Nora while she was here broiling in my head.

"The point is I need to see her. Right fucking now."

"We'll take care of Nora on our end. Flynn got her back safe, and he won't let her out of his sight. You do what you've gotta do out there, finish the tour, then you come home."

I held a sharp breath.

"Flynn's got this, brother. No worries."

I sat on the bed and punched my thigh. Hard. I'd never been so pissed off at myself as I was for letting Nora get on that plane.

"You care about her, give her everything you've got. Not just a slice of time between your other commitments."

"I don't know, man."

"It's only three more shows," Brody said. "Finish the tour. Then you can have all the time you need with her back home."

"Fuck, Brody. It can't be like this. Family first, remember?"

"I do remember."

"So?" I said.

"You telling me she's family?"

I didn't answer that.

"If she is, then give her all you've got. That's all I'm gonna say."

"This is me giving my all. It's taking everything I've got not to go after her right fucking now and leave you all without a fucking show tonight. Family fucking first. You know that, Brody. I told you that from the start. That if it ever came down to it, if Jay needed me in the middle of the night, any fucking day of the week, if she called me and needed that, I was gone."

Brody was silent for a long while. So long I checked my phone to make sure the call hadn't dropped.

"Tell me," he finally said. "How many times over the years has that happened, Jay calling you up and asking you to drop everything to come help her out?"

Brody knew the answer to that. The answer was zero.

Jay had never once asked for my help.

I sighed, hard. "Nora thinks Elle knows, about the deal. That she put it out there."

"Elle didn't leak shit. She's not gonna say shit to anyone about you or Nora."

"I know. I told Nora that."

"Anyway, it was me."

I pressed my fingers into my eyes. I heard it; I knew what I heard. Couldn't fucking believe it. "You did what?"