09

Nora

I sipped my champagne cocktail and stared at him, trying to pretend I wasn't staring at him.

Joshua Breckenridge, Jr.

It was him. Dressed in a bespoke suit, because that's what he wore at all fucking times, even to a rock 'n' roll party.

I slumped in my chair, trying to instantaneously vanish.

"Do not," Devi hissed at me. "Sit up fucking straight."

I sat up. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"I don't know." Devi set her drink down on the table. "Don't worry, babe. I'm all over it."

With that, she stood and sashayed her little butt straight over to Maggie. If anyone could get the goods, Devi would.

I finished my champagne and started into the cosmo, and Devi returned in record time. "He owns the fucking bar," she said, sitting down. "Or daddy does. Whatever. Apparently they put in a bid to host this party and made Jordan's management an offer they couldn't refuse. How much do you want to bet he saw you in that video?" She flicked her chin at the big screens, which were now playing the "Dirty Like Me" video on a loop. Me and Jordan, larger than life. Going at it.

"Oh, God."

"Don't sweat it." Devi squared her shoulders, a dark glint in her pretty eyes. "I'll run interference all fucking night if that's what it takes. He's not getting near you."

"I'll be okay." I was feeling kind of faint, actually. I drank some more, my thoughts starting to swim.

This couldn't be happening.

I had no desire to see Josh. I hadn't seen him in two years, since the moment he walked out on me at the altar. I knew I'd run into him again someday, somewhere... but here? Now?

As if this night wasn't strange enough. This was probably the absolute worst place and time for this little reunion to happen.

I glanced over again. He was facing me, but didn't seem to be looking at me. He had to know I was here, though. He had to have seen me.

It kinda pissed me off, actually, that he was acting like he hadn't.

And it fucking depressed me that he looked so good.

Not Jordan Knight good, but good.

"The guy thinks he owns the fucking world," Devi said. "Well, screw him. You don't belong to him."

I clinked my glass to hers when she toasted me but sat in silence, letting that sink in.

She was right. I didn't belong to Josh Breckenridge, Jr., but the truth was, I never had. Not if he was willing to walk out on me the way he did. And he was. He was so, so willing.

"Just leave it," I told her. "He's not coming over here. Not with all these guys around." If I knew one thing about Josh, he wouldn't risk getting shot down in front of all these VVIPs.

"He'd better not," Devi huffed, settling back in her chair. "What a fucking creep. Do you think he wants you back?"

Jesus. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind.

"No," I said.

I tried to smile when I noticed Jude glancing over. Then I took a deep breath and tried to relax.

I had my cosmo, my lucky leather jacket, and I had Devi. I had frickin' security.

All I really had to do was forget Josh's existence, which I'd become fairly good at, and enjoy the music of Jordan Fucking Knight while he performed in those hot leather pants.