Zach Wilson 14

Feeling the unignorable eyes on me, I shove a spoonful of rice in my mouth to busy myself from looking up.

A heavy sigh followed by a rough, "Zach."

Taking a silent deep breath, I finally look up into my mother's eyes.

"What happened today?" She asks, dropping the spoon back in her plate, the sound of clank echoing in the silent dining room.

"He had it coming." I said fisting my fingers against the spoon in my hand.j

"I don't fucking care, Zach! Did you even realize how much I had to put in to convince the principal? Do you even realize what your father would do if he comes to know about this?" She hisses, her blue eyes vexed.

"I know it won't happen again." I mumble while playing with my rice and half crooked spoon.

She looks at me for a long silent moment and then a sigh leaves her mouth, "I won't tell any of this to your father."

I narrow my eyes, "I don't need a favour from you, mother."

An incredulous look covers her face and then she laughs humorlessly, "Trust me you need it."

"I'll tell him myself." I answer coldly and shove the last bite of my food in my mouth.

The conversation ends there as I pick up my empty plate and walk towards the kitchen.

My phone vibrates in my jeans pocket, my face automatically contours into a scowl, if one more person sends me the video of today's blunder I swear-

I pull my phone out, "Zach? How's it going man?" Caleb speaks before I could even put the phone to my ear.

"Alright." I answer and mood going back to neutral.

"What did the principal say?" He asks.

"He-" I cut myself off with a sigh, "Let's meet at the cafe." I need to get out so that I could take some things off of my mind.

"Okay, be there in 10." He answer without missing a beat. Sometimes I think he understands me better than myself.

————

"What would you like to have?" The waitress asks sweetly a notepad and pen in her hands.

"I'll just have a can of coke." I answer before going back to looking outside the window.

I feel Caleb's eyes on me before he answers, "I'll have a white sauce pasta and chocolate shake."

When the waitress leaves he asks, "So, what did the principal do?"

"He was, well, angry of course but mom had it under control." I reply replaying the scene in my mind. Mom truly was about to throw hands. It felt odd though seeing her defending me, protecting me, like a— like a mother does.

"What about Miss Rodriguez? She said she'd try." He asks clasping his hands on the top of the table.

I swallow at her mention, "She did. I think her words swayed principal where my mothers threats couldn't."

The waitress comes back with our orders and leaves shortly after that.

I take a sip from my can. Caleb nods, his eyes narrowing on me.

"What?" I ask, perplexed.

He says slowly, carefully choosing his words, "You and Miss Rodriguez." Not a question.

I abruptly started coughing at his sudden statement. I compose myself and asks, "What about me and her?"

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah yeah you're not sleeping together."