Chapter 8 (Immaturity)

Hey everybody,  I hate this chapter. When you get to the end look for the question I have there. Sorry for updating a day late, I'm a great procrastinator. I posted my story on Archive Of Our Own but the updates will be the same if not a little later on there.

"After all, I am just a trickster."

Mieczyslaw's POV

As soon as I wake up and get dressed I go to the back door and start walking through the woods. Rebecca and Freya had told me that they would be staying at the edge of the town in the house of a woman that Rebecca killed and buried.

Maybe a few days ago I would have felt differently about it and silently a bit sad for the woman, but right now all I feel is icy anger not directed at anyone but Mikael.

I find the house quickly from following the scent of Freya's magic.

As I walk calmly toward the front steps I whip around, eyes narrowed.

Footsteps sounded from just down the road. I smirked at them. I turn swiftly and start walking towards the sound. A man walks on the edge of the road, smiling, with a dog leash wrapped around his wrist. The rope tugs and I notice a Huskey running along beside him, tongue hanging half out of his mouth as it sniffs at everything it smells. When I get closer the man looks up at me, the smile dropping the tiniest bit.

The dog suddenly starts barking when I look at it. I hide my leer and put on an innocent expression.

The man looks down at the animal and frowns at the sudden mood change from the dog. He pulls at the leash calming and demanding mutterings coming from his mouth as he tries to soothe the dog.

When he finally picks up the now growling dog that stares directly at me, he gives me a sheepish smile.

"Sorry about that, I do not know what is gotten into him." He laughs a bit.

I brush the apology off with a gesture of my hand sending him a "genuine" smile and using my regular accent I say, "It is alright I don't mind." I pretend to look thoughtful for a second before turning back to him, "Hey, do you mind me asking directions real quick?" He hesitates before nodding. "You see, my mate just died and Beacon Hills was where he lives and I wanted to go visit him at the cemetery. Do you know where that is?" He steps back the slightest bit before nodding.

I reach in my pocket pretending to get out the map. He takes a few steps, wavering. I wait until he's standing in front of me and-

Snap.

The dog resumes barking as if falls out of its owner's hands. The man falls to the ground staring at nothing. His neck broken and at an odd angle.

I grin but turn when the dog starts trying to bite at the leg of my pants. I kick at it, annoyed. It does not let up so I let my fangs, blood-red eyes, and veins around the eyes show. The dog whimpers and runs into the woods.

I roll my eyes and pick up the man, draping him over my shoulder. I start walking back to the house, making sure I listen to the sounds around me so I will know if a car is approaching. 

When I open the door Rebecca is the first to hear me. She smiles at the sight of the dead man.

I walk in handing the corpse to Rebecca, before I start to drift through the rooms, finding Freya. 

I locate her in a carpeted room with curtains that look a century old. Freya sits in the middle of a circle with small patterns made of salt, looking as if she were honing her magic. She opens her eyes when she registers me in the room and nods as I sit down on the nearby chair.