CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

I'd recognize that look on their faces anywhere, because it's how Shannon and her friends used to look at me

The same smirks, the same evil glints in their eyes.

Zara's got her hands on her hips as she steps around Vivian to get closer to me. The other two follow.

Panic rushes in on me, leaving me even more overwhelmed and off-balance. The vibrations, the shimmering light, the heat, the angry assholes...

They move even closer, crowding me and Vivian, until our backs are pressed up against the railing.

"Repeat what you just said." Zara's voice is cold, and she steps even closer.

I have two choices. I can back down and apologize. Or I can stand my ground. Standing my ground is a stupid idea. It's never worked for me in the past.

"Hello?" Jazmin snaps a finger in my face. "Answer Zara. Repeat what you said."

My brain's all jumbled, and I dart a glance at Vivian. She's staring mournfully at her shoes, her straight black hair hanging in her face.

She was only trying to be nice to these girls. A flicker of hot anger races through me and settles in my gut. I take a step closer to Zara, looking up at her 'cause she's taller than I am in her heels.

Apologize, Lyric. It's my calm inner voice, giving me excellent advice.

I inhale, steeling myself to say I'm sorry, even though I'm really not.

"Hmm." Esme squints at me like I'm some kind of disgusting bug. "I think she's slow too. Another dumb Cerberus inbred. Nice boots, by the way."

Oh, no, she did not.

"I said that you three are the victims of bad breeding. And it's obvious every damn time one of you bitches opens your mouth."

I'm so mad now that I'm shaking. The off-pitch frequencies still vibrating through this room have got me on edge, and I might be more irritated than I've ever felt in my whole life.

The three of them are staring at me wide-eyed, but that quickly shifts to anger.

I raise my fists and flash them a crazy smile. I'm finally gonna get a chance to punch someone!

"Is there a problem here?" Arielle has arrived.

I abandon my fighting stance and quickly clasp my hands behind me.

The viewing platform's a lot less crowded now. She's made another magickal doorway—a shimmering portal of golden light in the wall—and students are walking through it.

"Everything's fine." Esme's voice is sugary sweet, her stupid beautiful face a picture of innocence. "We just wanted a few extra minutes up here. I've been dreaming of seeing the Hall since I was a little girl."