Prologue

Point of view Alena

I had arrived at the open doors of Hellia University with a small suitcase in one hand which held all my belongings. The driver had dropped me off in front of the main Chapel. This was the one of the oldest buildings on campus. On the other hand, I had the letter of admissions, which stated:

"Congratulations, Alena Underwood, you have been chosen to be part of Hellia University. A driver will pick you up on Monday, August 19th at 10am."

That's all that was written. The letter wasn't an invitation. It was well known that no one refused Hellia University. Horrible consequences happened to those who chose to defy destiny; even I wasn't dumb enough to do that.

Hundreds of newly admitted students were standing in different lines. I pondered, how many knew that half of us were to be either dead or rejected before winter break? 

Returners, who all were branded with the symbols of their sector, guided new students. The stamps represented the four different casts that the students belonged to. The school was split into three sections: Cassiopeia, Nallia, and the Outcast.

One branded with a star looked at me with a strange expression.

- "You, what's your name?" She asks staring me down with her strange emerald eyes. 

-"Alena Underwood."

I can tell by her facial expression changing that she was trying to read me, but, in the end, she decided to give up.

-"Last Row. Row 9. Leave your bag here; someone will bring it to your room," She indicates to me.

I nod before finding my row and standing behind another new student. On the first day, you would expect everyone to talk or try to meet other people, but at Hellia, everyone is silent.  Everyone was worried about which Cast they would end up in.

Before anything, Hellia hosted the Commencement ceremony, which hosted Lilith Whitlock, the director of the school. The most famous psychic from the Star Cast in the world. She was known for her crazy prophecies. Lilith was well respected in our community. I feared her because she was never wrong with what the stars showed her for the future. This year marks the two hundredth year of Hellia University. With this special birthday, a rumor has spread that an important prophecy will be proclaimed once again.

The doors to the main hall opened in a sudden movement causing all the first-year students to gasp. Most of them have been waiting for this moment their entire lives. Except maybe me, but that's beside the point. I quickly realized that I would be the last to be told where I belonged. 

The doors to this sacred place only opened on rare occasions, but it was beautiful, especially the main hall. It was a privilege to see the interior. The windows were colorful, reminding me of the humans' churches which once stood all over the world. Lilith was standing in the middle of the stage, with blue hair braided behind her back.

- "Welcome, new students of Hellia University." She proclaims to the audience.

She continues her speech by saying how special it is to be chosen. I only half listen, bothered by this tingly feeling in my body. I turned around to see that the hall had many balconies that hosted the returning students. They were in the shadows and couldn't really be discerned. However, I felt a gaze on my back which left me uneasy. I couldn't pinpoint and decided to redraw my focus to the director. 

Lilith stops speaking for a few seconds. Waiting for her guides to come out of the shadows. A huge snake comes from behind her before wrapping around her blue braid. Very few people are chosen to have connections with creatures in this world, but Lilith was one of them. It brings her power and knowledge. The prophecy is about to begin.

- "There are two marked by the moon, which are destined to hate one another. If they do, chaos will be awoken. Unless they complete the bond that will unite them forever."

I paused for a few seconds. Repeating the prophecy a few times. 

"Fuck." I murmur. Prophecies were like a puzzle. You could interpret them into a million different ways. However the mark of the moon... A mark I know all too well. It spreads across my body like a plague. Like white ink, a stain that reminds me of the ocean. It flows throughout my back down to my hips. It is as beautiful as it is a sin. It isn't discernible to the human eye unless you touch it, or I feel anger. It's always hidden.

The mark of the moon... that didn't have many interpretation. 

The silence spreads in the room. People need time to process. Chaos isn't something that is said lightly in our world. After a few seconds, Lilith disappears and comes back with two other snakes around her arms. They are the ones who tell her which students belong in which cast. Some of us aren't even aware of our capabilities. These snakes are able to smell your powers and assess way before any sign of power. 

As names are called out, students come and face the snakes before getting assigned a Cast. One of the most critical moments in your life. Students aren't usually surprised when fate is sealed because powers appear in your late teenage years but others like me will be.

"Noah Tanner."

His name rings in my ears. Noah walks confidently to the stage faces the three snakes who turn around him. Compared to everyone else, the snakes seem enraged, then whispering into the ear of Lilith.

"Shadow Cast." She exclaims.

Noah's expression is livid; he appears to be choked. He is quickly removed from the stage by a returner. Shadow Cast is a dangerous cast; it has the highest death rates and the most challenging students.

A few more students keep walking towards the stage. I am no longer listening, stressed about what is to come. I am no psychic, hate the outdoors, and do not consider myself dangerous. So, where do I belong? Sure enough, I was about to find out.