Chapter 9

Peter's POV

After Harley left, I couldn't stop smiling, even as I stuffed the barely edible meatloaf into my mouth.

"So... that was Harley?" May smirked, "He is Cute!" I rolled my eyes at that. "And he didn't seem to hate you as much as you said he did."

"Well, that's because he came to apologize for being such an asshole." I scoffed, "He is also 17, so calm yourself." I chuckled and before I knew it, I could feel a blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Does he know?" She asked me and shook my head immediately.

"No, and he is not going to." I explained. "I'd rather his opinions of me not change just because I'm portrayed as a hero on the news."

"But you are a hero, Pete." She gave me a warm smile.

"How can you be so sure?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Because I know you. With or without that suit, Peter Parker is a hero." I gave her a weak grin as I got up and took my plate to the sink.

"So... I have another night shift Monday night so I want to make sure that you are not doing any spidey shenanigans too late. You better have your ass in that bed by 12:00. I do check in with Tony now and then." She warned.

I frowned, "Since when do you call Mr. Stark, Tony?"

She shrugged, "I probably check in with him more than every now and then."

I let out a huff and crossed my arms, "I don't need a babysitter!"

"Hmm. Yeah sure." She said sarcastically, getting up to put her dishes in the sink. She put a hand on my shoulder and looked directly into my eyes. "I know how you are. You will act like everything is fine because you don't want to bother anyone. We see right through you, Pete. Tony does too." She patted my shoulder as she made her way to her room, "Night! Get some sleep!"

"Night!" I called back. I walked into my room and looked at the bed for a long minute. I sighed as I got into it and pulled the covers up to my chest. I closed my eyes and opened them up immediately. It was almost as if I felt the pain before I even closed them. I took in a deep breath, trying to calm by heart rate. When was the last time I actually went to sleep?

I believe it was three days ago? But even then, I woke up in a sweat not even four hours into my sleep. I took my phone off the nightstand and went through my latest texts. I stopped at MJ, contemplating whether or not to call her. I looked at my digital clock and it showed 9:42. I hesitantly presses the call button and listened to the annoying ringing against my ear.

"What's up, loser?" I heard and I smiled.

"Can't sleep." I answered honestly, "I didn't wake you, did I?"

"I don't go to bed until at least 12." She pauses for a moment, "You sound tired. When was the last time you went to sleep?" She asked, clearly worried.

"Um... I'm fine." I tried to steer away from actually telling her.

"Peter..." she warned.

"Maybe three days. I mean, if we are talking an actual good night's sleep..." Before Thanos. "I don't remember." I lied.

"Peter! You have to sleep!" She demanded.

"I can't! I've tried, but I just... I can't." My voice broke. I could MJ sigh on the other end.