Chapter III

It was a regular day for stockbrokers. There was nothing big that had happened besides from the fact that his co-worker Mr. Smith accidentally spilled his coffee at Mr. Andrews; their manager. Aside from that, everything was normal. They were all busy typing, talking to their clients and whatnot. He was thankful because there were no problems that occurred.

 Jack ended his day with a bright smile on his face. After his talk with Lisa over the phone, he decided to eat at a famous diner that was at the heart of the city. He decided to take a walk going there. He enjoyed walking especially in the busy streets of the city. He loved the afternoon zephyr, he loved watching the sun set, and it made him think of how lucky he was that he got to see it firsthand. He walked and walked a little bit more. He was busy staring at an elderly couple who were strolling; it made him think of Lisa. It made him think of the future. He averted his gaze when they noticed him looking. He was embarrassed. They must think I’m strange he whispered to himself.

Finally, he arrived at his destination. He wasn’t even inside yet he can already smell the delicious meals that were being served to the customers. Once he entered the building, the first thing that he noticed was the people. Normally, the room was crowded. Laughter would often fill the room but now it is unusual. There were only a few people. By the booths, you would see couple eating to themselves. Then you would see workers mostly entrepreneurs by the singles area. He sat at the booth beside the window.

“What’s up Jack? Do you want the usual?” His friend Mike greeted him. He was already a regular customer here so the workers already knew his order without even asking.

“Yes please” he replied and smiled coyly.

He waited in silence. He brought out his laptop to check up on his e-mail and found nothing interesting.

There’s nothing. He whispered to himself. Again he waited.

He decided to check up on Lisa so he called her.

She immediately answered the phone after the second ring.

“Hey Jack” She greeted happily.

“Hey, so what are you up to?” He asked.

“I’m still here at the daycare center, you see I’m going crazy here, it’s a good thing you called. People are arriving and the kids are screaming. I don’t think I’ll survive Jack” she joked. It was another day at the center. Usually her shift would end earlier but today must be a busy day for her.

“Hey don’t stress yourself too much. Do you want me to come get you after?” He offered.

“No it’s okay, I think I can manage. Hey I got to go, Marissa is asking for my help. Thank you for your call” With that, she ended the call.

He spent the rest of his night at his apartment. After he showered and made an entry at his journal, he decided to call it a day.

He brushed his teeth and change into comfortable clothes. He texted Lisa a goodnight and went off to sleep.

**

In the middle of his sleep he woke up. His eyes were open but he was still lying down.

He realized that he can feel his world slowly blacking out. He was already panicking yet he can’t even do anything about it. He can’t breathe. His vision is getting blurry, His hands are numb. His feet are too. He can’t feel a thing. I want to scream! He wanted to do so but couldn’t. He can feel the darkness slowly enveloping him. He feels so helpless. He was still conscious, it has been ten minutes. He is still lying on his bed and no one even knows that his own life is being taken away from him. His chest kept hurting.

He was gasping for air. Blood coming from his coughs were evident. But aside from his pain all he can think about is Lisa. He wants to ask how her day went, and how is she. He wants to say how much he loves her and would do anything for her. He wanted to tell her how he was sorry that he can’t be there for her anymore. He wanted to tell her how much she deserved the world and more. That she is everything and anything that a guy could ever want. But he can’t do that. No, He can’t, At least not anymore.