Chapter II - Jack

Unlike Lisa, Jack’s life is the opposite. When he was Seventeen, his whole world came crashing down. He lost both of his parents in a flash. Ever since, he has been trying to sort out his life in the city with his older-sister, Abigail. They took the saying if you want something, you gotta work for it very seriously since they only have each other in this world.

Last night’s events are coming back to him in whirlwind of pools that he didn’t want to remember.  

 “Jack to the moon and back okay?” She told him.

“Always” He replied, reassuring her.                                           

“This is the start of us. Dad finally accepted you. You don’t have to worry about anything Jack, now it’s you and me against the world, nothing could ever break us apart” She told him with her eyes full of hope and determination.

He remembered not responding and looking at her as if he was hiding something. As if he was sorry about something.

I must be crazy he thought.

“Jack!” A voice called from behind.

He turned back and realized that it was his sister, Abigail.

“Morning” He greeted coolly

“So do you have any plans today?” She asked with a grin plastered on her face.

“Nope, what made you in that good mood early in the morning?” He asked genuinely interested.  

“My boss called me and she told me that I got promoted!” Abigail Hollows was waiting for this moment for the past years. She is working on a real estate company for three years now. She knows the in and out of this business. She knows the people to talk to and the people to stay away from.

“Congratulations big sis!” He said and gave her a hug.

He and his sister aren’t that close but they are not enemies either. The incident had made them devoted to earning money that they would often work for almost ten hours a day, six times a week. They would have the casual conversation about how their day went and how they are, regularly and would always try to eat meals together. Abigail did it all. She helped him graduate in a community college and graduated with a degree.

Jack is infamous in the city. Everyone knew him as the bad guy. He goes underground fighting for money. There was even a rumor about how he was an impatient stockbroker who is willing to do anything to get to the top, including trading on illegal inside information.

None of it is true except the fact that he works in wall-street as a stockbroker and casually fights whenever he is in need of extra income, but Lisa knew this. She wanted it, at first it was because she wanted to live not just exist and not just marry some work-driven guy whom her father picked for her.

But he wasn’t a bad guy, and again, she knew this.

Everything is going smooth as it is. He had Lisa by his side and would always be there for him when he needs somebody to be there. He loves her. The first time they met was a year ago; she was different to say at least. But he never expected to fall for her. She didn’t need a woman to love. He just needs assurance. That he’ll have a good future. Especially provide her sister with everything that she needs and wants. He was a no strings attached kind of guy. Lisa is his first girlfriend and he hopefully wishes that she’ll be the last.

Jack started his day by getting ready to go to work. He did his morning routine. The busy streets of the city never fail to remind him of how everything was in its own place. He searched for a cab like a mad man. There will be times when aggressive workers would steal his cab. But it didn’t drive him crazy in fact it was nothing to him. He felt like he belonged to this world. That he could spend the rest of his life living here and being one of those people who struggle for their life by working in big companies with thousands of employees.

 His next stop was Starbucks; he never went on with his day without drinking his coffee that seemed to help him get through the day.

He headed off to the company in fast pace, like he was running a marathon. He didn’t seem to hurry earlier because his great explanation was that he likes the exhilarating feeling of rushing into work in the last minute.

Besides from the fact that those were his routine, being a stockbroker is a totally different story. There is no such thing as a typical day. There were thousands of stockbrokers in the city who initially keep a daily schedule. He was definitely one of them. He would show up at the office before the stock market for trading and would do all he can to finish his research on time. He would spend the rest of the day trading and contacting his existing clients with recommendations for his portfolio, following a short lunch. He would also meet new clients face-to-face. He would end his day by making cold calls, networking or even teaching seminars to clients.