Blood pact between Lyric Ava Hart and Atlantis Academy.

Blood pact. Wow. These people are taking things way too literally. I know they got my name from my license, but it's still unnerving, seeing it all spelled out on here.

I shut my eyes and swallow. My hands are shaking, and I can't seem to make them stop.

Magic is not real.

Neither is magick with a K.

And sirens are not real.

So how can I explain any of this, then, logically?

A cult.

It has to be some kind of cult where they drug you and brainwash you. I've seen TV shows about cults before. One of their tactics is to make you believe you've done something terrible and only they understand. They try to make you afraid, try to make you guilty. They tell you you're special. Chloe and Ethan, with their uniform-like clothing, symbols, strange words... What else did they say to me? They were making up crap about supernatural policemen... Cerberus agents or whatever, who were gonna arrest me if I didn't go to the Academy right away. Telling me I'm special and magical, but only they can help me realize my potential...

I open my eyes, nodding.

Definitely a cult.

My heart starts pumping faster, but my hands stop shaking. Blood drips from my finger onto the carpet below, and anger blooms in my gut.

On the surface, Chloe and Ethan remind me of those people in in suits who show up knocking on your door asking "Have you heard the good news? You can be saved!" Chloe had acted friendly and caring, like she totally believed all the crazy stuff she was saying about her cult or religion or whatever... like she only wanted to help me save myself.

But this was way beyond door-to-door conversion tactics. They had kidnapped me, obviously drugged me, tried to mess with my head, and oh yeah, they murdered a teenage girl.

My cheeks are blazing hot, and something like rage erupts within me.

I didn't ask for any of this!

Why me? Why did they target me? What games are they playing and why?

The only logical explanation, looking back, is that they grabbed me on my walk home from work last night and then did stuff to me.

But why?

Another drop of my blood falls to the carpet, and my rage intensifies. I glance at the fireplace, new energy surging through me.

There's fresh firewood in there, from the last time I intended to build a fire and then wandered off and forgot.

My gaze lands on the black urn resting on the mantel.

Not my mom anymore, just ashes.

But what would she say about all this?

Nothing. She wouldn't help. She'd leave me to fend for myself, like she always did. She'd be drunk, sitting in that damn armchair, watching the flat screen TV I had to pawn to pay the electric bill.

What did I ever do to deserve any of this?

I get up to march the nasty, finger-biting parchment over to the fireplace. Then I toss it down on the wood with a flourish.

Go to hell, you kidnapping, cult-following, psycho murderers!

As I reach up and grab the lighter from the mantel, sparks fly through the grate.

I let out a yelp and jump back, dropping the lighter to the floor. My mouth goes dry as I stare, slack-jawed.

There was no fire in the fireplace... Yet the parchment is already on fire.

I blink at the parchment as it glows bright and the edges curl blackly. Another few sparks fly off of it, and I take a step back. The flames surge toward me, and the wood in the fireplace also catches fire.

How is this possible?

Sweat's dripping down my forehead, and my saltwater stiff shirt is starting to stick to my sweat-soaked back.

Maybe that thing had electronics in it. That would explain the hologram effects. Maybe it was set to self-destruct if I didn't "sign" the blood pact.

A puff of smoke lurches up the flue, and the fire burns even hotter.

Well, that letter didn't tell me much. And now it's gone for good. At least I threw it in the fireplace before it blew up in my hands.

I'm full of energy now, every muscle tense, driving me to do something.

But I need a plan. I return to the window and peek outside. The SUV is still right where it was. No sign of Ethan and Chloe. They're either sitting inside, waiting for me to emerge, or they'll be coming back in here any minute.

So what's my plan?

There's only one smart and right thing to do. I have to report all of this to the cops. But I have no landline, my cell phone's dead, and all my neighbors will be at work at this hour.

I'll have to sneak out the back door and run to the police station.

But what will I even say?

Maybe I should've saved the still-burning letter to show the cops, but it would've exploded in my hands anyway, if I'd held it even a second longer.

I have to tell the cops Amanda's dead, but how do I explain it? Chloe and Ethan will just tell them I murdered Amanda.

But what are they gonna say... that I magicked her to death?

I let out a laugh that sounds half-crazed and slap my hand over my mouth to stop it.

I'll figure out what to say once I'm out of here.

I have to hurry.