EIGHTY NINE

HONESTY

"This is about the deal with Silas isn't it?" JJ sighed watching as River headed to the bathroom to wash her face with cold water, "He called me and warned me you'd be pissed."

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you two were besties that have each other's phone numbers." River laughed grabbing one of the towels and patting her face before sitting herself on the counter top.

"I know you're angry but we both have our reasons." JJ tried to explain closing the door behind them so he didn't involve the others in their domestic, "I met him before you introduced him to me, he was stealing-"

"JJ I don't need a fucking fairytale story." River shook her head, "Who said I was ready for your explanation?" She asked with a raised brow, she was trying to be strong but inside she wanted to burst into tears.

"Because I need you to understand that we only did it with the best intentions." JJ spoke he moved closer to the girl and placed his hands on her knees standing between her thighs which made her laugh.

"How is any of this the best for me, huh?" she questioned her eyes were glistening, "Go on then, explain yourself, please." she spoke pushing him off of her legs.

"I wasn't around, okay? And I still loved you and I needed to make sure you were okay and safe." JJ exasperated, "You meant a lot to me."

"I meant that much that you were able to ignore me for months." She shook her head biting her lip as he knocked back on the wall his arms looking overly good in his shirt, "Why would you even think that ignoring me was in my best interest?"

"Kie said-"

"And why couldn't you think for yourself?" River asked throwing her hands up in the air, "Why was it whatever she says goes, huh?" She paused and waited for him to answer but he looked towards the ceiling not able to answer, "Did you ever wonder as to why she suggested that you ignore me?"

"Not really." JJ whispered running his hand through his hair realising he'd fucked up, "I just kind of agreed that I wasn't good enough for you." he spoke and River scoffed.

"You allowed someone to decide our relationship and you didn't even think as to why she would do that? Isn't it obvious, JJ? She wants you and I was in the way." River laughed she must've shouted that much she'd chewed her lip because her mouth started to have a metallic copper taste.

"It's not like that, she's not like that." He shook his head in disbelief.

"You're defending her?" River scoffed holding the bridge of her nose, "Do you hear yourself? Shes not like that? But she is like that and she fucking did that hence the reason you had to send in a spy to my life."

It was JJ's turn to gulp down his sickness he realised how everything looked and he hated River thinking that he was anybody else's other than hers.

"If it wasn't about her wanting you why didn't she tell Pope to stop talking to me?" River questioned, "Was it because she didn't tell him to or was he not like her lap dog and was he a bigger man than you?"

"Shut up, River." JJ muttered angrily, he hated being compared to Pope, "You're only guilty that while I was sending Silas to look after you, you were off fucking him."

"It was you who broke us up." River shouted back jumping off of the counter and JJ stopped in shock, she hadn't denied it and his whole world shattered around him.

"I still loved you. You left us." JJ replied, "Your kook ass life, with your kook ass friends, and your new kook ass boyfriend."

"Silas was your idea not mine, Maybank." River stated standing chest to chest with JJ, she was much smaller than him but she wasn't about to back down anymore because being submissive in front of him wasn't obviously working all it showed him that she was able to be walked all over.

"I get that you're mad at the deal but it was just to make sure you were okay and I'm sorry that you think that was wrong of me it was for my own piece of mind. To make sure you were okay." JJ spoke he didn't want to shout anymore not when he realised how broken she looked and even though he was hurting too he realised it was all his fault.

"It's not fair that you chose her over me, JJ." River croaked her voice breaking and a singular tear trailed from the corner of her eye and she took it into her mouth with a sharp lick so that he didn't see anymore weakness.

"I didn't choose her." JJ broke his shoulders dropping, "I'm sorry."

"Do you love her?" River suddenly blurted looking at JJ who's mouth swung open in shock that she'd just asked such a question but he didn't answer which gave the girl the wrong impression, "I can't do this anymore." River spoke up gathering herself to make it seem as if she had her shit together, "You obviously have a thing for Kie and now with the whole Silas deal I can't shake this bad feeling that we just shouldn't be doing this." She motioned between them both.

River moved around JJ's body and let out a sob as she closed the door behind him leaving him in the bathroom, she looked up to see Pope who opened his arms and her first instinct was to fall into his chest.

"He loves Kie." River sobbed into Pope's shirt balling her fists in his shirt as he stroked down her blonde hair in shock.

"He said that?" Pope asked worriedly, he had no idea what would make her think that without him openly saying it, his heart was pounding thinking about the situation as River pulled away her icy blue eyes allowing tears to splash from her eyelashes to the floor.

"He didn't have to."

wrote by lucidgravity