SEVENTY NINE

MEMORIAL

"Wait. Wait, wait, wait." John B placed his hand on JJ's bicep once he heard the car doors slam. The panic in John B's voice made everyone fall silent and then to look in the direction he was looking in. "What was that?"

"Your chicken?" JJ shrugged, making River think of Chadwick the rooster.

"I heard a car door." John B responded softly.

Instinctively, Silas stood up and in front of the two blonde girls, knowing that if he let anything happen to them, then he would have let himself down. He rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, revealing all his tattoos as he narrowed his eyes, trying to see if he could see anyone.

"Get in the tree." Silas ordered once he saw two people advancing towards them. "Don't question it. Just fucking do it."

Sarah was the first up the tree, taking longer than usual just to the wound she had from the Bahamas. River was next, followed by JJ and John B. Silas hesitated a moment before grabbing the bucket of water and ice that was used to keep their drinks cool before tipping it over the fire. He quickly climbed up the tree with mere seconds to spare before Rafe and Barry came into view.

River's whole body was covered by JJ. He could feel her shaking beneath him, making him link his fingers with hers. She bit down on her bottom lip to make sure that she didn't let go of a sound, desperately fighting the oncoming panic attack.

"Where the hell are you?" Rafe questioned from beneath them.

Silas was careful as he made his way towards Sarah, John B was on the opposite branch of the tree but he hated the fact that she didn't have someone covering her.

He placed his hand over her mouth as he covered her body, he didn't want her to be scared at the fact that he had moved closer. Once Sarah knew that it was just Silas, she nodded and he removed his hand.

River glanced around, trying to see if she could find Pope or Kie. Both of them were off somewhere with one another, neither did them knowing that Rafe and Barry were looking for them with guns at the ready.

"Anything?" Rafe questioned once Barry walked out of the château.

"No, ain't shit in there, bro." Barry shook his head.

"No? Nothing?" Rafe grew more and more frustrated at the fact that he couldn't find John B and Sarah.

The blonde girl shared an anxious look with JJ, her breathing had become more rapid, and she hated the way that her heart raced. She knew that it wouldn't be long until she started to hyperventilate.

"No, nothing, Rafe."

"They were obviously just here based off the smoke." Rafe pointed towards the fire that Silas previously put out.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Great observation, boy scout." Barry responded sarcastically.

Silas tilted his head and looked towards River, her eyes had filled with unshed tears and he knew what was about to happen. He slowly raised his hand and held up his fingers.

When she first became a part of his life, he would make her count his fingers to prevent her oncoming panic attacks. Once he saw her mouth the numbers, he placed a finger down.

"They're not far, you know." Rafe continued to shout.

"Smokey the bear. Look at you, bro." Barry shouted, laughing as he did so.

"They gotta be around here somewhere." Rafe ran his hand over his face.

River's grip on JJ's hand tightened, she hadn't felt this panicked in a long time. In fact, the last time she felt this panicked was when the two men tried to kill them all and she locked herself in the bathroom after they left.

"P4L." Barry chuckled once he read the memorial.

"Well, shit." Rafe chuckled.

"So your sisters a Pouge for live, huh Rafe? Now who would've thought?" Barry shook his head. "Aye, your cousin too."

River tensed at the mention of her, she glanced down to Silas, who raised his hand again, allowing her to count his fingers to stead her breathing and giving her something else to focus on.

She wondered how Barry found out, she wasn't exactly bragging about it and she sure as hell knew that Reginald wasn't. She couldn't help but think that Rafe had told him.

"SHIT!" Rafe screamed, flicking the safety off of his gun and aiming it at the memorial.

JJ's hand quickly cupped River's mouth, his eyes softening as he looked at her. He tried to smile as Rafe aimed towards the sky and pulled the trigger, but his smile faltered once a bullet skimmed where River was sitting.

His eyes widened and he pulled her back without even hesitating, he didn't care if he made any sound, he couldn't let her die. His hand cupped the back of her head, his lips pressing against her temple, desperately trying to keep her close.

"Rafe, chill your shit. You're gonna get our asses busted. Let's bounce. Let's go." Barry shouted, pulling Rafe with him as they left ran back towards their car.

River pulled away from JJ once she heard them drive away, her bottom lip trembling as she finally allowed the tears to fall. He brought his hand up to cup her cheek, his thumb wiping away her tears.

"It's okay, he's gone." JJ whispered, pressing his lips against her forehead. "You're safe, angel."