𝕺𝖓𝖊 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕺𝖓𝖑𝖞

His side of the bed was empty. It had been months since he started guarding the village. Long, cold nights of a fatherless home and days where he barely had the energy to tend to the farm. The weight of the family became her responsibility to bear. She was everything her children needed, while simultaneously never being enough. He was doing the right thing, she knew that, but it did not stop her from wondering what life would be like if he had never followed Micheal into that Fate forsaken forest. 

"Mum, why are we going to town today?" Tommy asked, interrupting Kristen's thoughts. 

"I'm not completely sure, love. Your father did not tell me much about today. Only that we should come into town to see something of interest." 

Her hand tightened around Tommy's. The entrance of the town was decorated with green and white lanterns. Banners and decor were plastered everywhere with great excess. People scurried around the street carrying flowers and food. Laughing, singing, and yelling filled the air of the village with only a few steps forward. Tommy's eyes sparkled as he gazed upon the joy-filled area. 

"Is today a holiday?!" a small gasp sounded from his throat, "Do we get presents?!"

"Tommy if it was really a holiday, wouldn't dad be home by now?" Wilbur hissed.

Kristin wanted to scold him, yet, it would be hypocritical of her. Those same thoughts had corroded her mind on so many occasions. Birthdays and anniversaries were missed because of the selfless work he had committed his life to. It managed to sting in wounds she did not know she had.  

"Kristin," Micheal waved from behind a tea cake stand, "glad to see you could make it." 

She strained a smile, "As am I."

Tommy broke away from his mother and ran into the arms of Micheal. He squirmed as he spoke, "Where is dad? Isn't he supposed to be here by now?"

Wilbur set his eyes towards the ground, "You shouldn't be surprised."

She ran her fingers through his curly brown hair, "Hush now, Will. He will be here," she sighed, "he has to be."

"What's happening over there?" Tommy pointed a small finger towards the village square. 

The swarm of people had created an opening. It was as though the sea had parted. For what, she did not know.

Micheal set Tommy down quickly and slipped off into the crowd before anyone could notice.

Tommy jumped up and down, squealing, "Look, look! Look over there!" 

Kristin tried to calm the boy, but before she could reach him, he had run off towards the village square.

"Tommy! Get back here! You could get-" her voice cracked as she saw who was in the center of the village. 

A man dressed in a white kimono sat upon a horse, sword on one hip and crossbow on his back. His hair was braided and flowers dropped around his neck. He looked beautiful. 

"Dad! You came back!" 

Philza reached down and lifted the boy onto the horse with him. They laughed as they made the horse trot forward. 

Kristin stood still, watching as they pranced through the crowd of people, letting bouquets of flowers fall upon them.