𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖗𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕹𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖇𝖞

Philza shut the door as quietly as he could behind him. He let out a deep sigh of relief as he entered his well worn, yet well loved home. Running his fingers through his hair, he let down his short ponytail and pulled his arms out of the top of his kimono, letting it hang around his hips. He stretched his sore muscles, and wiped off the dirt and ash around his shoulders and face. He jumped as a bedroom door creaked open. His body relaxed and a soft grinned grew over his face as he saw the small figure standing in front of him, clinging onto a blanket.

"Tommy, what are you doing out of bed? Aren't you sleepy?"

He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, "Sleepy? Sleep is for the weak," he yawned.

"Uh huh," he chuckled, ruffling his curls, "I guess your dad is pretty weak, then?"

"What? No way, you're the strongest ever forever," the boy huffed.

"Thank you, son, but I think you're a tad bit stronger than me. I'm very tired tonight."

Tommy grabbed his sleeves and pulled him down, forcing him to sit on the floor. Crawling into his lap, he whispered, "Well...I guess being sleepy doesn't make you weak, it just means you've done a lot of helpful stuff, and need a little break! Like, when I help mum with chores or...give Wilbur ideas for his songs."

Philza brushed a few stray tears from his eyes, "You're a very smart boy, you know that?"

"Yups, I know," he smirked smugly.

"What's going on in here? And why wasn't I invited to the party?" Kristin cocked an eyebrow while walking into the front room.

"Mum! What are you doing..." 

"Awake?" she set her hands on her hips, "I could ask the same question for you too, mister."

"Alrighty gotta go," Tommy hopped up from his father's lap and ran back into his bedroom, "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight, love," Kristin said, planting a kiss on his cheek. She closed his door and turned towards her husband, "So, how did it go?"

Letting out a breath he rubbed his neck, "Long... but worthwhile. Did you know twenty people died in the village fire? Some of them were children..."

"Philza," she moved close to him, setting her hands on his arms gently.

"I just kept thinking about how that could be Tommy or Wilbur," he rested his head in the crook of her neck, "It could have been one of our boys...it could have been you." He wrapped his arms around her tightly, nestling closer to her, "I'm just so glad you're safe."

"Phil, I know you want to protect us," her breaths becoming shaky as she spoke, "but I already lost you once, don't ever...ever leave me again."

"I promise, my love. I promise."