𝕺𝖋 𝕳𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖙𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝕳𝖔𝖒𝖊

He didn't want to wake her. She was sleeping so soundly. Tommy and Wilbur had climbed into bed with her and dozed off late last night most likely. He smiled aimlessly at his family. Usually, he would do anything just to spend time with them, yet, there was a weight upon his chest that bothered him so. 

For the first time in his existence, he had taken a life out of malice. Though, whether it was truly alive or not was anyone's guess. He knew he would have died if he didn't kill it, but the fact that he knew he was capable of such violence...

Rubbing his aching back, he regretted the fact that he chose to sleep on the floor that night. 

"Phil?" a soft, husky voice queried.

He smiled at the sound, "Good morning Kristen." 

She grinned sleepily and leaned over the bed, "What are you doing down there? Are you not cold?"

"You three were sleeping so peacefully, I did not wish to wake you," he chuckled. 

Her head tilted as she asked, "What is that red thing on your shoulder?" 

The kimono he was wearing had slipped off his shoulder ever so slightly revealing matted blood. Even though he did his best to clean and bandage the wound, the blood had seeped through and stained the sleeve. 

"Oh, nothing," he stood, adjusting his shoulder uncomfortably, " just a scratch."

Sliding out of the bed, she came in front of Philza. 

"Darling, I need to take care of some chores-"

"Do not tell me its nothing," her lip quivered as she spoke, "you do not get to decide whether I care or not."

A sick feeling of regret rose in his throat. The look on her face was unbearable. She was hurt, he could tell. The one thing he was trying not to do, he had done without even having to try.

"Darling," he brushed the hair away from her face, "I'm doing this to protect you. Our family. It may mean that I become hurt every now and again, but I'm willing to pay that price."

"But I am not!" she whimpered. "Philza, you do not know what it is like looking upon the love of your life and wondering if their death was your fault. I do not want to-" she hiccuped as she began to cry, "to see you like that ever again. You promised me you would not leave me."

He pulled her into his chest, stroking her hair.

She sobbed quietly in his arms, "You promised."