𝕺𝖓𝖊 𝕾𝖙𝖊𝖕

"How much would I have to pay?"

He wrinkled his nose, "What?"

"I believe you have had to pay for everything we have had since I have arrived. Assuming you paid for the inn, I feel as though-"

"Kristin," he set a hand on her shoulder gently, "consider it a gift. You could help take care of the animals and the gardens. I could teach you how to cook and take care of yourself properly." He gazed upon her anxious figure softly. Though he presented himself as calm, inwardly he was just as unsure as she was. 

"You would not mind?" she questioned, her voice hesitant.

"How could I deny a goddess?" he hummed absent-mindedly. 

Suddenly her face and ears flushed red, and she turned, "Your mortal drinks may warm the stomach but they do nothing for the mind." 

He chuckled and wrapped his arm around hers, "That is why you must never drink alone. That is rule number one of mortality."

"I thought rule number one was survive," she commented, pulling closer to his figure. 

"Trust me, if you drink alone you won't survive."

They continued towards a wooden stable titled 'Alyssa's Steeds'. Upon entering the building, they were greeted by a blonde-haired woman with a black mask. 

"How can I help you two this evening?" though they were unable to see her mouth, it was easy to tell that she was grinning.

"One traveling horse, please," Philza took a small sack from his satchel and set it on the table.

"As you wish," she nodded and went back into the barn.

The interior of the stable felt warm with the scent of fresh hay lingering in the air. Behind a sliding door, the sound of equines rung through the tall rafters. Kristin lifted her chin to see the chickens flapping their wings from one rafter to the next. A small smile grew over her face, and her eyes began to sparkle with excitement. 

"Is this what it is going to be like at your farm?" she asked, still looking above.

"Some-what" Philza replied, "It's not all hay and feathers though, there's quite a bit of dirty work that needs to be done."

"Dirt has never frightened me," she hummed, "It's beautiful, in a way."

"How so?"

She dropped her head towards her hands, cupping what he assumed was imaginary dirt, "So often, I find that humans become disgusted at the very thing they came from. Even I, a goddess, came from rock and soil."

"Earth and stars. A little bit different from humanity," he breathed, transfixed on her face. A glow seemed to radiate from her whenever she spoke. Every sentence a poem and every breath a melody.

"Excuse me, I hate to interrupt but your horse is prepared," she looked at them both and grinned, causing Philza to blush.

He cleared his throat before speaking, "Well then, we bes' be off." 

Outside of the barn, Alyssa began lighting the lanterns surrounding her property. From the corner of the building, she shouted, "You two be safe!"

Holding out a hand, Philza pulled Kristin onto the horse, "You have my word!," he turned his head around, just enough to have a side view of Kristin's face, "You might want to hold on, this is going to be a bit different compared to what you're used to."

Her arms slid around his waist gingerly, "Like this?"

Philza took a moment to collect himself, thanking Fate that she was not able to see how flushed his face was, "Yes, that is perfectly adequate."

"Then as you said, we best be off!" 

A smirk grew over his lips at the sound of her enthusiasm, "You heard the lady," he patted the horse's neck, "Hya!" Kicking his heels back, he started off in a swift canter. The sudden thrust of movement caused Kristin's arms to grow tighter around him. This was going to be a long journey.